Husky 460 Rancher running lean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverLogger

Sep 2, 2009
Western Oregon
Hey guys,

I have a 460 Rancher that is about 8 months old. About a month ago while using it, it started reving high at idle and wouldn't slow down. I took it to the Husky dealer where I bought it and they looked and couldn't find anything wrong, so they adjusted the carb and called it good. So I took it out for the first time since they looked at it and I had a fairly large fir log that was bigger than the 24" bar, so it was quite a workout for the saw. I cut a couple rounds and as I got to the bottom of the third cut the saw bogged down like it was pinching so I pulled the saw out of the cut and it started revving higher than I can rev it with the trigger. I stood there for a split second and hit the kill switch and the saw WOULDN'T DIE!!! It continued to rev really high for probably a second until it finally shut off and started winding down. I didnt run it again. I took it back to the shop and told them what happened, the mechanic told me the saw was running really lean and the plug was so hot that when the electronics were turned off the fuel supply was still burning. Again they couldnt find anything wrong with the saw other than they gave me some BS about a curly-Q in the fuel line blah, blah, blah. They said the compression was fine and nothing was hurt. I haven't run it since getting it back, so what do you all think or suggest.

Thanks RL

to get that hot to start with it would have to be running very lean is it still under warranty?

Yes, it is under warranty. I see where your headed and I feel the same way, but the saw is running fine now so how do I argue? What do I say to them?

RiverLogger said:
Yes, it is under warranty. I see where your headed and I feel the same way, but the saw is running fine now so how do I argue? What do I say to them?

where there shop is and where you are cutting are you by chance much higher up the mountain?

and on your H screw can you turn it anymore to the left?

Both the shop and where I cut wood are basically at sea level, my home though where I occasionally use the saw is at 1200'. Is this enough to make a difference? Do you think this has done any damage to the saw? I dont know about the setting on the screw, I'll have to look.

RiverLogger said:
Both the shop and where I cut wood are basically at sea level, my home though where I occasionally use the saw is at 1200'. Is this enough to make a difference? Do you think this has done any damage to the saw?

no I think there telling you the truth but there is somthing behind it? check and see if there is anymore room to turn the H screw left
and if so how much there is 1/8 1/4 1/2 3/4 full turn?

Nothing is wrong after "they" tuned it up & this happened?
Run it allot while it's under warranty,
Do you have a history of the times it's been to the shop? keep a log.
Just in case.
Just a small fiber in the fuel line or carburetor some where can cause it to run hot & may burn a hole in the piston.
Pull the plug & look at the top of your piston, if your plug was that hot, look for piston damage PS: while under warranty.
Keep us posted, a few Husqvarna fans here & we hope they treat you right.

Okay, Smokinjay sorry it took so long to get back. The H screw is all the way to the left already. Also the saga continues, the saw now leaks bar oil really bad out the bottom of the saw. While it was at the shop they had to sharpen my chain they ran it so much to try to figure the problem out. That's great that they sharpened the chain and all, but they sharpened at 25* on one side and 10* on the other. I noticed after I went to touch it up yesterday that the angles were so far off. So back to the shop this morning where the mechanic basically told me I didnt give him the right info last time and he didn't know what to do so it was my fault. I have really had it with this place, but it is the husky dealer and I dont have much choice for warranty work.

RL

The leaking bar oil may be the clue. You could have a bad gasket, the lower unit is two halfs put thogether, if the gasket is bad under the crank you could be sucking air from the bottom of the crank. I have seen this happen once before. The other thing is a bad crank seal.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.