1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

husky 51 oiler

Post in 'The Gear' started by bruce56bb, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bruce56bb

bruce56bb New Member

Loc:
    Flint Hills of Kansas
    i think my saw isn't using enough bar oil. the oil level is only about a third of the way down after a tank of gas. i suspect the oil pump is going bad. is it hard to replace a pump? and yes, i have cleaned the holes in the bar.
    thanks in advance

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    I don't think it's hard to replace a pump but it probably requires some special tools and maybe some knowledge. I've never done it, but I think it's fairly routine.

You can adjust most oil pumps. Have you tried doing that?
  3. wingnut

wingnut New Member

I would Try cleaning the oil tank first maybe with some diesel fuel?
  4. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    That's a good idea, wingnut. I think there might also be a filter in there. See if you can pull it out and replace it. That's probably your problem, come to think of it. I think when oilers go, they just flat out die. But then, it's hard to kill something that's immersed in oil.
  5. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

eric ever done this. loosen the chain oil it up fill the oil tank with Kero and run it for atleast 5 minutes full bore
    one if the chain is gummed up it usually cleans it. Two helps flush out the oil tank filter and oil port holes. If the pump is not working than the Kero will not be spraying off the bar.

If no Kero substitute it for paint thinner
  6. Eric Johnson

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Clean/replace the filter first and be sure not to run the saw without the bar and chain installed. That's an important safety point, as clutch drums can (and do) disintegrate when run without the benefit of the drag from the chain and bar. You will, in other words, exceed the design speed of the clutch.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.