1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Husqvarna 455 Carb - is it really this much of a PITA?

Post in 'The Gear' started by NH_Wood, Apr 14, 2013.

1. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Just tore down a 455 last week - bought the saw cheap and stripping for parts. Anywho - I've only tore down about 4 older husqvarnas (268, 266, etc.) - I couldn't believe the carb config on this 455. A major PITA to remove the carb assembly - couldn't remove the convoluted choke lever from the linkage - had to remove everything (minus the throttle linkage) at one time. I'm guessing this box store saw isn't meant to be worked on much - all the Stihl carbs I've removed are SO much simpler. Any one else hate this carb configuration??? Cheers!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CaddyUser

CaddyUser Member

Loc:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I rebuilt one that I got from eBay awhile back (someone had straight gassed it), and I don't seem to recall anything terrible about the carb linkage. The bolts that hold the carb to the boot and the boot to the cylinder are another matter though - the plastic strips if you are not careful.....

Are you selling the parts, or keeping them??
  3. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Selling the parts Caddy. I found the carb removal to be a PITA, relative to most of the Stihl saws I've worked on - no easy way to remove the choke lever from outside the box made the removal tough IMO - just wondering what others were thinking - it was my first 455, so perhaps a learning curve issue! Cheers!
  4. cnice_37

cnice_37 Member

Loc:
    Assonet MA
    I just had the pleasure (?) of fixing one for a neighbor. Piece of something, I've worked on Huskys and Stihls, but I always try to buy pro grade saws and both brands are much easier to work on than this Lowe's junker. Its not a brand thing, I think its a price range quality thing.
  5. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Yes - definitely not a friendly config IMO - I want to loosen a couple nuts and slide out the carb. Cheers!