Husqvarna 455 Leaking Bar Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pilot-werx

Nov 10, 2008
Southern, Maine
Although I am good with getting engines running perfect, I am not all that versed in chainsaws... I have an older 445 and a new 455 that I bought last fall at Lowes.... I just got the 455 out of the case and noticed a small pool of oil under it. It looks like bar oil. Is it normal for a chain saw to leak bar oil if it is not used frequently?

pilot-werx said:
Although I am good with getting engines running perfect, I am not all that versed in chainsaws... I have an older 445 and a new 455 that I bought last fall at Lowes.... I just got the 455 out of the case and noticed a small pool of oil under it. It looks like bar oil. Is it normal for a chain saw to leak bar oil if it is not used frequently?

that'll happen thats why its great to have a case.

My barely used 350 Husqvarna did the same thing over the winter. It didn't leak after using this last weekend, put it in a box just in case, the box was dry one day later.

pilot-werx said:

Yes.

Remember, it only takes a few drops to make a good sized puddle, so often leaks look worse than they really are... If nothing else, you are likely to have the oil in and around the bar area drip down over time, plus maybe whats in the line between the pump and the bar. Bottom line, yes it is normal to get some drippage from a saw, don't put it down on something where this will be a problem for you (or for your wife, who will then become a problem for you, even if the saw isn't... %-P )

Gooserider

What if it leaks more than a little?

bsa0021 said:

make sure your putting it up with the cap on good.If alot is the whole tank leaks out the seal on the cap is bad.

smokinj said:
bsa0021 said:

make sure your putting it up with the cap on good.If alot is the whole tank leaks out the seal on the cap is bad.
It's actually a 55 rancher and I replaced the cap seal but it seeps out when you tip it side to side (not running) I plan on taking it apart to see what's up.

I have a Husky 141 with the same problem, and it leaks several tablespoons when placed right-side up for more than a day.
I suspect its a seal near the tube that delivers the oil to the bar, but I haven't had the time to take it apart yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.