1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

HVAC advice for my mother in law...

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by jharkin, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Correct. Disclosure is geared more towards any heating oil spills, any water contamination or flooding, termites, lead etc. Known problems for which either have been remedied, or still exist.
    Properly working appliances do not fall under this.
    fbelec likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ironpony

ironpony Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid-ohio
    a little late to the party but if everything is working as it should leave it alone and price the home accordingly. let the buyer have an inspection and see where it goes. if they flag it negotiate the price in the form of a reasonable credit. also check the home inspectors credentials, around here if you print a business card you are a home inspector, lots of unqualified inspectors in this area.
    fbelec likes this.
  3. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    agree with let someone look at it that is qualified tell you that there is a problem. if everything is working efficiency has nothing to do with it. personally i can't stand most home inspectors. they are usually a carpenter that is older and doesn't want to work with the tools anymore or lazy. they can't and don't have the right to quote electrical and plumbing codes. unless they have the license and worked in the trade they are quoting. i see it all the time with home inspector reports that get home owners nervous when nothing is wrong. if that happens call in the licensed guy electrician, plumber, hvac and let him dictate what is right and what is wrong. it will be way cheaper.
  4. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    To close this one out... My wife talked to her Mom yesterday....

She got another opinion. Water heater is leaking. So she ended up contracting to replace the water heater with a new gas power vent heater and have the furnace and a/c cleaned&serviced. Cost for all came to $1500. She is then going go put it on the market and if a buyer asks, consider a price concession.

I did also find out, not surprised, that she has only had this stuff serviced once in the 20 years she lived there :rolleyes:

Mods you can wrap it up...
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sounds like a plan. I wish her the best of luck for a speedy sale. Putting this one on the shelf.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.