HVAC advice for my mother in law...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only knowledge she has at this point is that all are in good working order. There is no foreknowledge of defects and there is no way of knowing whether a failure will occur in one day or 10 years.
Correct. Disclosure is geared more towards any heating oil spills, any water contamination or flooding, termites, lead etc. Known problems for which either have been remedied, or still exist.
Properly working appliances do not fall under this.

Reactions: fbelec
a little late to the party but if everything is working as it should leave it alone and price the home accordingly. let the buyer have an inspection and see where it goes. if they flag it negotiate the price in the form of a reasonable credit. also check the home inspectors credentials, around here if you print a business card you are a home inspector, lots of unqualified inspectors in this area.

Reactions: fbelec
agree with let someone look at it that is qualified tell you that there is a problem. if everything is working efficiency has nothing to do with it. personally i can't stand most home inspectors. they are usually a carpenter that is older and doesn't want to work with the tools anymore or lazy. they can't and don't have the right to quote electrical and plumbing codes. unless they have the license and worked in the trade they are quoting. i see it all the time with home inspector reports that get home owners nervous when nothing is wrong. if that happens call in the licensed guy electrician, plumber, hvac and let him dictate what is right and what is wrong. it will be way cheaper.

To close this one out... My wife talked to her Mom yesterday....

She got another opinion. Water heater is leaking. So she ended up contracting to replace the water heater with a new gas power vent heater and have the furnace and a/c cleaned&serviced. Cost for all came to $1500. She is then going go put it on the market and if a buyer asks, consider a price concession.

I did also find out, not surprised, that she has only had this stuff serviced once in the 20 years she lived there :rolleyes:

Mods you can wrap it up...

Sounds like a plan. I wish her the best of luck for a speedy sale. Putting this one on the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.