HVAC guys,new heat pump electrical requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
So we have another burn ban in town and these always make me think about my alternative heat sources.

For backup heat I have the little 220 volt cadet style wall heaters in each room with their own stats. They are each fed by a 20 amp 220 circuit and 12/2 romex wire. The house has no ductwork and is single story with good attic access.House is only 1700 SF.

I don't have good access to my panel to add more circuits but am considering heat pump options. I did run one 30 amp 220 volt circuit into the attic on 10/3 wire for a future well or maybe a heat pump. So can modern heat pumps be powered with the 30 amp circuit? Can the 20 amp circuits be used after abandoning the wall heaters?

Any other ideas for good heat from those 20 amp circuits. Mini splits are uncommon in my area and the house is 65 feet long. Standard heat pumps are common.

I've never been in your part of your country, but I'm thinking it's kind of moderate like here?

I'd check out mini-splits, and maybe be the trend setter for your area. There are a ton of them going in here, and I haven't heard anything bad yet. My brother in law had electric like you have. It's still there but they put a pellet insert in a couple of years back - they are saying they are saving a lot of money with it, so I can just imagine what the electric heat was costing them.

If you dont have the resistance back up heaters I believe a 30 amp circuit will work but not sure. Google it buddy pal. :)

In a conventional there is just a blower and a coil in the attic, not a lot of power required (<1 kW). The work (~1 kW /ton) is in the compressor sitting outside. For (complete, stand-alone) electric backup, of course, you will need some beefy wire going to the handler, 30A = 6.6 kW will likely be inadequate. If you don't want backup, you might run a 6 kW strip that only energizes during defrost as a comfort issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.