hw tank heat plumbing arangement ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
I have a tube in tube home built hx for domestic hot water plumbed in with a circ to my tarm boiler. It pre heats the 45 degree cold water prior to entering the gas water heater. Obviously the hotter the wood boiler temp the hotter the preheated dw. I have an electric 50 gal water heater. ( to use as a side arm) If I remove the elements, should I plumb a loop from the hx in the bottom and back out of the top element tappings? and then plumb the cold water into the cold water inlet and then the hot water going out to the gas water heater into the cold inlet.? Or vise-versa . I would like to heat up the 50 gal. during off load times help keep the boiler from idle ing on warmer days. Any thoughts?

Try searching hilkoil.com there are some great diagrams on their site. I piped a water heater up so the water from my boiler dhw circulates hot in the top and cold returns to the boiler from the bottom of the water heater. The cold inlet and hot outlets on the top of the tank are the way from the factory .

Status
Not open for further replies.