HX Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

Hearth Supporter
Mar 10, 2008
Western NY
I live in Western NY, am new to this website, forum, and central heating with wood (my wife and I have years experience heating and cooking with wood stoves--- old hippies). I will have a wood/coal system for next season and invite offers for a smaller wood/coal boiler that any of you may have to sell. I have acquired a 500 gallon milk bulk tank to use for heat storage and am wondering if the bunch of old and new baseboard fin tubes that I have in the cellar would be suitable as the basis for my HX. Thanks to all of you for my education so far.

Welcome to the Boiler Room, grego. I think we've got more than a few old hippies hanging around here--whether they'll admit it or not.

I'd look at local classifieds and on Ebay for used boilers. You can pick up some old Tarms (particularly if you don't mind driving to Vermont or NH) for pretty cheap. Make sure they hold pressure before you do the deal. And, somebody around here looking to upgrade might bite.

The only concern I've heard about fin-tube baseboard as a hx element is that you might have problem with copper and aluminum sitting in the same pool of water. Opinions vary on that, and I'm the wrong guy to ask. My current untested fave would be cast iron radiators.

Status
Not open for further replies.