1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

HX thumping in Seton when fired?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Pat53, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willman

Willman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sabattus Maine
    Nice fix, any pics?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Pat53

Pat53 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    UP Mich
    Sorry, no pics. :(
  3. b_board

b_board New Member

Loc:
    New Hampshire
    I have been following this post for awhile and glad to see an ending to all of the guess work. I have a Buderus Logano G201 with 500 gallons of pressurized storage and I have been going through the same problem for two years. I think I will try the boiler treatment before I jump into a tare down. I can't thank you enough for the update.....
  4. Pat53

Pat53 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    UP Mich
    No problem bro, sorry to hear of "your" problem. I believe my problem derived from me draining the HX the summer before last instead of just leaving it pressurized with water in it. Does your boiler have a similar HX as the Seton?
  5. 2.beans

2.beans Minister of Fire

Loc:
    new hampshire
    glad to see you fixed the problem. i have to change the back refractory in mine soon. maybe ill cut it open and see whats inside. thanks for the update
  6. Pat53

Pat53 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    UP Mich
    Hi beans, yeah I forgot you were having kind of the same problem too. Did your refractory crack?

All I did was cut the end of the header off that is opposite the tube openings and run a 3/4" SS wire brush on a piece of small pex tubing. The funny thing is that all the tubes except 2 were basically nice and clean. No rust or corrosion at all. The inside of the 4" X 4" header was also pretty much spotless. So I'm not really sure what was going on with just those 2 tubes, but evidently thats what the problem was. I've just done my 3rd burn and everything running smooth and quiet.

If you do take out your HX for examination, you might want to try what I did. I modified it by moving it forward and down about 1 1/2" so it sits more directly in the exhaust stream. It is going to add some efficiency to the unit for sure I believe. It will be easier to clean now also.

Pat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.