1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hydraulic Cylinder Stops for Splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by velvetfoot, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    All this stuff is new to me, but it seems there exists aluminum hydraulic cylinder stops that come in many different sizes that can be made to effectively shorten up on the cylinder stroke (say from a 25" max to 16+" firewood length) on a temporary basis. They are made of aluminum and would seem to ride with the ram so I would imagine scratching might be minimal, but I'm not sure. Are there any downsides to these things?

Here is a 4" spacer, for $19, no less:
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200324521_200324521

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
  3. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    We use them all the time to set the depth of the haybine, corn picker, etc. No downside. They should work well for what you want them to do.
  4. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Thanks very much for replying. Experience is key. It would seem to me to be a timesaver, but I was concerned they could scratch the ram in some way.
  5. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    The rams that we use them on, they pretty much stay in the same place on the end of the shaft and ride up and down with it, so no scratching that I've ever noticed. I would think on a splitter it would be the same story. They will probably stay on the far end of the shaft by the splitting wedge and never move from there, but ride up and down with it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.