Hydraulic Cylinder Stops for Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
All this stuff is new to me, but it seems there exists aluminum hydraulic cylinder stops that come in many different sizes that can be made to effectively shorten up on the cylinder stroke (say from a 25" max to 16+" firewood length) on a temporary basis. They are made of aluminum and would seem to ride with the ram so I would imagine scratching might be minimal, but I'm not sure. Are there any downsides to these things?

Here is a 4" spacer, for $19, no less:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200324521_200324521

We use them all the time to set the depth of the haybine, corn picker, etc. No downside. They should work well for what you want them to do.

Thanks very much for replying. Experience is key. It would seem to me to be a timesaver, but I was concerned they could scratch the ram in some way.

The rams that we use them on, they pretty much stay in the same place on the end of the shaft and ride up and down with it, so no scratching that I've ever noticed. I would think on a splitter it would be the same story. They will probably stay on the far end of the shaft by the splitting wedge and never move from there, but ride up and down with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.