Hydraulic oil as bar oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trafick

Dec 12, 2008
Lynchburg, VA
The thread about the price of bar oil and the use of sump oil got me thinking. I recently changed the hydraulic oil out in my splitter,(about 8 gallons) and I haven't taken it to recycling yet. Could I use this as bar oil? I know all the purists will say no but maybe if I filtered it...hmmm.

Ever notice how real bar oil is tacky and slings off of the chain? That tacky property is not present in hydro fluid so it won't act the same. Also, hydro fluid is about a 20 weight oil vs. the 30 weight of bar oil.

I am about to dump 7 gallons from my tractor and that oil is super filtered already so is a shame to waste.

Highbeam I've mixed in a little used hydraulic oil before in the Kubota before. It's to clean to get rid of and too lite for reg lube use so burn it in the tractor. 20% or less in diesel will burn OK.

I'm scared to death to burn anything except diesel in a diesel. These things are super expensive to fix. I understand that a diesel will pretty much burn anything but bam! that injector pump goes out and you just lost thousands of dollars.

The thing that takes pumps out is solvents or other items which will dry out seals, etc. As long as hydraulic fluid is clean (filtered), you should have no issues running it in upto a 20/80 mix with diesel fuel.

HB, dump it in , even if it's a quart at a time per tank of fuel. The CAT engines in my tri-axles love it. At $25,000 for a new engine I woodn't be doin' it if it wasn't OK. As long as it isn't synthetic , let it rip. I run a 3% mix of motor oil, tranny fluid,gear lube, hydro oil in my fuel with no problems.

WANDERING NAMELESSLEE said:
HB, dump it in , even if it's a quart at a time per tank of fuel. The CAT engines in my tri-axles love it. At $25,000 for a new engine I woodn't be doin' it if it wasn't OK. As long as it isn't synthetic , let it rip. I run a 3% mix of motor oil, tranny fluid,gear lube, hydro oil in my fuel with no problems.

And if you plug up an injector or two thats good for me. I make them ... lol teasing I will no ill will on anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.