Hydro oil change question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
My friends Husky splitter lives in my garage/shed most of the time and I have complete use and access(obviously)

I am going to change the oil, plug filter and Hydro oil/filter. Any suggestions on what type of oil to use in the hydro? Is there some better than others? I have not ever changed out a hydro before.

Was thinking I would just go to TSC where he bought it and ask them but thought I should ask here first.

Stop by any farm/tractor supply store and grab tractor Hyd. fluid. For your use any will due.

I agree with Greg, any good hydraulic fluid will do. But I wouldn't really be too concerned with changing the fluid unless you have run an absolutely ridiculous amount of wood through that splitter. You should be fine by changing the filter and adding the necessary amount to make up for what you lost in the filter change. That's just my opinion. That fluid lasts for quite a long time in equipment that takes much more of a beating than a splitter. I've run well over 70 dictionary cords or more through my 3 yr old splitter and the fluid is fine.......

Reactions: kettensäge
Good to know - I will just change oil and tune up the motor, change filters and top off the hydro.

Reactions: ScotO
Tratcor Supply's Traveller Universal Hyd. Fluid works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.