Hydronic box stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the mekanic

Mar 13, 2009
Long Island, NY
My father purchased a simple plate steel box stove back in the late ‘70’s. All steel, no glass. It was about 2’ x 3’ x 4’ with a fire brick bottom, and water piping on the sides. It stood on four 1” pipe legs. On the back were the inlet, outlet, and circulation loops. We had a basic 1/3 horse circulator regulated by an aquastat. It exchanged water with the oil-fired boiler, and him being a carpenter, we usually had plenty of wood. I don’t ever recall having a problem with the chimney, and it was serviced seasonally. If anyone knows where I could find such a box stove these days, I would like to get another. It lasted about 23 years before we had to let it go due to eventual metal fatigue, and failure of the water piping

These are much more common in Europe than here, most likely due to the high risk of safety issues. However, installed correctly with the correct controls and safety reliefs, they can function reasonably well. You might enjoy reading this article on John Gulland's system:

http://www.gulland.ca/homenergy/stove.htm

Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to replace it with something identical. I guess when things pick up for the summer season I'll have to squirrel away some cash here and there for plate steel, fire brick, and welding rods. Maybe I've discovered a lost market...

You might consider running the tubing on the back of the stove for simplicity and sake and a bit more moderate control. Also, you could try contacting a US Esse dealer to see if he could get you an Esse 700.

http://www.esse.com/stoves/multifuel_wood/700.html

Status
Not open for further replies.