I am back...and have a question....stove choice???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Firebroad.

I certainly appreciate the concerns. But as an intelligent person would do, there will be no gas cans in the garage. In another thread I have posted the WETT requirements for stoves in garages/sheds. It has to be a certain height off of the floor (gas is more dense than air therefore the fumes will be on ground level).

On the other thread I posted (regarding the stove in a garage), a forum member posted a good question. What says a garage is a garage? What if it is a workshop, a storage unit, a place to hide from the kids and wife? I am an honnest person and I can say this: I have 2 gas cans approximately 25 feet away from my wood stove in the back area of my basement. Would there be a difference if it was 25 feet away in my garage? Either way I have no intentions on having gas cans in my garage. I just want to be able to light a fire, warm it up, and melt off the snowblower or snowmobile after a run with either of the machines. I can't see it being any more dangerous than all those garages that weld inside the bays with cars on a hoist... My town has 0 building code inspectors!! lol.

As Fi-Q said; insurance companies around here are much more tough on people who have an attached garage than a detached one. A detached one does not even change my insurance costs. I think common sense should be used and not have flammables near open flames.

Andrew

Good point about the welding, Andrew; never thought of that before. While we are on the subject of confessions, I must admit I have an unopened can of Trufuel sitting down the basement in a corner.;em

We were told absolutely NO way here in NY, but I agree that it's rather stupid, all things considered. However, that said, hopefully gas cans in basements near stoves don't cause fires or you won't be able to put one in the basement soon.

I would just get an OAK (in case you want to do a quick rattle can touch up on some paint or something) and set it on a raised hearth myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.