I am back...and have a question....stove choice???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

It's been a long time since I was around hearth.com. It's nice to be back!

I built a garage in the past few weeks. I will be putting R14 in the walls and R5 on the ceiling (1 inch of foam). So it will be insulated (however not like a house..). A friend of mine owed me some $ so I kindly accepted 18 feet of 6 inch Supervent stove pipe along with the T. Therefore, all I am missing is a stove.

I am looking for a cheap stove, doesn't have to be that pretty but I do want it EPA compliant. I will be putting it in my garage. My garage is not big (16X24) and I don't necessarily need the temperatures to reach 25 C, just 5-10 degrees. I want to be able to thaw out snowmobiles, snowblowers, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

I think the "30" is going to be highly recommended here. EPA compliant and about the best bang for the buck going.

Currently you can get an Englander NC-30 EPA and WA state approved stove from the Huntington Park, CA Home Depot (store #1002) for 649 online, with free shipping. Cheaper and larger than the NC-13. I got an NC-30 a few months ago shipped from my 'local' HD in Virginia, ordered off the HD web site. They go for upward of 1200 at stove stores around here, and are usually 899 at most HDs.

Ooops, you are in Canadia...not sure if you can get in on this deal or not.

No luck online...the only company that homedepot.ca deals with regarding wood stoves is the United States Stove company...anyone have any luck with this?

Anybody know anything about Timberridge stoves? They are made by Englander and available in big box stores. They seem to be identicle in size, specs, etc. Any ideas?
+++edit+++
I checked both websites and Englander 30 is the same as the Timber Ridge 50-TNC30.

Andrew

For that small a space (384 sq ft) a 50-TNC13 or mid-sized Drolet, Napoleon, Century etc. would work fine. The 30NC is overkill. But I would boost up the ceiling insulation quite a bit and put some 6" fiberglass up there.

Do you have a local craigslist or equivalent in which you can watch for used stoves? If so i would look for a small, Canadian made stove like a Napoleon, Regency, Drolet, Osburn, etc.. Anything from 1.5 - 2 cu ft would be more than sufficient.

BeGreen:

Thanks for the reply. Something tells me I may just boost the insulation. I don't want to toss insulations up there as I plan on storing items in that area. I had thought about simply putting rigid foam pannels onto lats strapped to the trusses. 3 inches - R15. I think that would be enough (?). It's not a primary space, just a garage I want to heat from time to time. Then again, my philosophy is do it once, do it right!

We do have some online classifieds but most people around here still have smoke dragons. That is why I was thinking of getting the TNC13.

Unless Fyrebug comes along and sells me a used Osburn or something of the kind...lol

ANdrew

Canada Tire sells the Englander stoves. I don't know what their current prices are.

Edit: I just checked and the current price for the 30 is $1,099 CAD.

If you like your Osburn, then why not get a Drolet.

I am not familiar with Drolet products.... I dunno how the pricing is around here. I will have to look into it but I certainly have not counted them out yet.

A

I am not familiar with Drolet products.... I dunno how the pricing is around here. I will have to look into it but I certainly have not counted them out yet.

A
Osburn and Drolet are both owned by SBI. In your neck of the woods, I would think that pricing would be on par with Englander. Maybe a little cheaper. They are good stoves.

Jotul 602 or 118?
Just a suggestion, but they are easy to use and need very little attention and the fire stays in the stoves for a long time.

Kingquad: I am familiar with Drolet (I have an Osburn) and I am very pleased with SBI products. However, I am simply unfamiliar with the various models, capacities, prices, etc. I will have to keep an eye out for them and sale prices this fall.

Angus: Jotul is an amazing stove company but I just don't think I want to put out that much cash for a stove I may be 20 times a winter (in the garage)...however if you or anyone other forum member wish to donate, I am more than willing to take one off of your hands ;)

Andrew

Kingquad: I am familiar with Drolet (I have an Osburn) and I am very pleased with SBI products. However, I am simply unfamiliar with the various models, capacities, prices, etc. I will have to keep an eye out for them and sale prices this fall.

Angus: Jotul is an amazing stove company but I just don't think I want to put out that much cash for a stove I may be 20 times a winter (in the garage)...however if you or anyone other forum member wish to donate, I am more than willing to take one off of your hands ;)

Andrew
Andrew, would like to assist, but.. erm no the postage to Canada would be a little steep :cool:

Hey guys

It's been a long time since I was around hearth.com. It's nice to be back!

I built a garage in the past few weeks. I will be putting R14 in the walls and R5 on the ceiling (1 inch of foam). So it will be insulated (however not like a house..). A friend of mine owed me some $ so I kindly accepted 18 feet of 6 inch Supervent stove pipe along with the T. Therefore, all I am missing is a stove.

I am looking for a cheap stove, doesn't have to be that pretty but I do want it EPA compliant. I will be putting it in my garage. My garage is not big (16X24) and I don't necessarily need the temperatures to reach 25 C, just 5-10 degrees. I want to be able to thaw out snowmobiles, snowblowers, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew
Pellet stove:cool:

Angus: you would be surprised on international shipping rates. They are often cheaper than the rates within Canada. I remember being able to send something to California (6500 KMs from here) cheaper than the province next door...identical item! However, overseas may be pricey..LOL.

Defiant; I had contemplated a pellet stove however around here pellets simply are not popular. Therefore the ability to buy pellets is rare and the price is high..$6 a bag!

Andrew

Andrew

Hey Andrew, I thought you'd come by for a plant tour! Then you could see your model being built...

If it's inexpensive your are looking for and the size of your garage, I would suggest the Century S244 Home Hardware and Home Depot carry it. The Drolet version is the Pyropak and BMR, Canadian Tire, Unimat, HH, Kent, Patrick Morin, Rona, Ace & Timbrmart will have it in your area.

Finally, if its going in the garage and you dont want to worry about breaking the glass you could also look at the 'Rocket' (Maurice Richard reference for non-Canadian) and in addition of the above you'll have Laferte & Coop carrying it.

Let us know how it goes.

Hey Bert

Nice hearing from you!

I am looking for a bit bigger stove, something that can handle 16 inch logs N-S. I would rather have too much stove than not enough. You can always make a smaller fire but not make a bigger stove!

My garage will be my retreat with a new kid on the way. I will bring my current son in the garage with me in the winter and my wife can take care of the newborn for a bit ;)

Cheers

Andrew

I am looking for a bit bigger stove, something that can handle 16 inch logs N-S. I would rather have too much stove than not enough. You can always make a smaller fire but not make a bigger stove!

The Drolet Escape 1800 should fit that requirement.

Not to rain on the parade but can a Wood stove be used in a garage with combustible items (gas in snowmobile/snowblower) in close proximity? I think Canada has different rules about that, I think a WETT inspection has to be done? I would call insurance and local permit office before proceeding just to double check.

Thanks BeGreen..that stoves seems to be a contender!!!

mellow: in Canada we can install stoves in our garages. However, it's common sense. If you have 50 gallons of gas lying around in there in an unsealed/dangerous fashion then no you can't. Everyone has a stove on their garage where I live...and I do mean everyone! It's some nice on a cold winter day, all t he tools are warm and you can work with wood or on a machine and not be cold!

I don't see what a difference it would be from my basement. I have cans of gas 30 feet away from my stove as I have a little workshop area in my base and my stove is also located in my basement.

Here is a great link regarding the rules about stoves in a garage. It's from the Canadian WETT website. The entire first page is dedicated to the topic. Great information.

http://www.wettinc.ca/WETTNLWinter2010.pdf

Andrew

Hi Andrew, if you go to the Drolet web site you can see the various specs included fire box dimensions. For 16" logs N/S look for a 'medium' size stove.

Too big a stove and you'll not get the efficiencies if you dont put enough wood in. Medium Stove should do ok.

WElcolme back Andrew, got my Austral Drolet for I think 925 during fall sales at BMR. Even you if garage is not the g=biggest, i think the pyro-pack might be ''Small'' there was one for sale a few weeks ago at the canadian tire in Paspebiac for 400$ (It looked like it spent lot of time in the wharehouse, had some rust, but the thing is ^retty small, donj't get any huge log in there.

Honnestly i think that for you insulation you should go the other wat, R14 ceiling R5 wall.

And at this time, you can probablly go around the peninsula / Rona / BMR and ask,they always end up with a few stove they coudln'T solod, and you can get crazy deal on them spring / summer time..... Canafdian Tire / ACE, ect.......

Hey Fi-Q!

How are things buddy? Thanks for your opinion! I was actually in Bonaventure yesterday for work... I will stop by the local hardware stores and see what they have to offer.

How are things your way? send me a pm!

Thanks again
Andrew

Forgive my ignorance, but as mellow mentioned, is it really wise to put a woodstove in a garage where gasoline fumes are? I was always taught this is a 'no no'. Of course I realize that people even smoke inside cars.

Well, I know that there is special care to take with a wood stove in a garage or a shop. But around here (PRobably close to the same where swedishchef is from, 2 hour east of me), at least 50% of houses have detached garage / shop. And about 80% of them have wood stove in it. There is a lot of wood available in the area for free (Ok, the permit to get your free wood on the public forest is 15$) if someone have the go ahead to kick themsekf in the rear end and go get it, itS' there and it's free, just go get it !! So lot of people do. So anyway, thousands of wood stove in garage here in the county, and nothing major, no extra insurance fee, nothing. In fact, here, the insurance company are more crazy about havoing an attached garage than a wood stove in it. Insurace are more than double for a attached garage compared to a detached. In fact the latest garage burnt that I can remember off was my uncle about 10 years ago, and the fire was cought by a portable electric heater full of dust.........

Status
Not open for further replies.