1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I am marginally disapointed in pellet stoves at the moment.

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by MountainStoveGuy, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    MSG,

Just curious on how your making out with the stove?

Hopefully its keeping you warm enough too!

jay

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. buildingmaint

buildingmaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Oil City PA
    How come you can't sell your BIG E , I'm sure some one would buy it for the right price .
  3. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Hey buildingmaint, How have you been?

Actually It is technically sold(under deposit). I guess it just needed to get a little colder. I had it in the locals for 1k for the first week, Dropped it to $950 and took the 1st $850 offer! Now the phone has been ringing off the wall. Stove is very close to new. I only ran about 3 tons thru it. It will be a good stove for him. He has much less (1600sgft) to heat and a tight house with new windows.

I just needed the right person to come along. I guess I'm a little inpatient.

I'm happy now(check my sig) And I told him all about this forum. Plus all the great people we have hear. So he knows were to get support.

Take care.
    jay
  4. smoke show

smoke show Guest

big e @ the box stores around here sell for $950 brand new(on sale)
  5. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Yeh yeh yeh, There $1600 to $1800 here new, Refurbs on ebay for $1250 or so. The guy that put a deposit on it was all over looking at the bigE's. Cheapest he found in Mass was $1595.00. He was going to buy that one but found mine just in time! He was happy to get it for $850.

All that matters is he bought it and is happy. Kind of like selling a car these days you get what you can get!

jay
  6. smoke show

smoke show Guest

7. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Plus 189.95 to ship or drive to Wisconsin. Don't think thats worth it!

Keep trying. Your in a totally different area and Market. Your pellets are going for $150 to $200/ ton. Ours is $100 plus more.

Apples and Oranges man!

jay
  8. smoke show

smoke show Guest

didn't mean to offend
    please accept apology
  9. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    No need to apologize, No offence taken. Just explaining the fact's. Everything seems to be over priced here!

Not mad. Maybe just a little jealous!!!! But you could send me some cheap prices. I only wish I could get things as cheap as you!

jay
  10. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky New Member

Loc:
    Central Massachusetts
    I need to see more trigonometric equations and some heavy mutlivariant calculus showing how I'm losing money burning pellets .. then I know we'll have a hum dinger.
  11. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    honestly , i burned a 2000 ft rated cat stove for over a decade in my house, i needed it back when we bought th eplace , little insulation , single pane windows and leaks galore, i swittched to pellet cause my spouse couldnt build a fire in a woodstove with a gallon of napalm and a gun to her head, so i bit the bullet and went to pellet , it does a great job but then im not having to push the stove at all in my house now , (added insulation , working on window replacements currently. i like the pellet stove for its versatility i can control the heat output easier than i could with the woodstove.

i still stick to my theory about altitude affecting realized heat output differential between radient and convective heat sources though.
  12. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    With my stove set at 70 F, the room the thermostat is in, never goes over 73 F, very efficient on pellet use.
  13. iceman

iceman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Springfield Ma (western mass)
    looks like MSG left us for dead!!
  14. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Yep, He's probably dragged out the XXV and Stuffed in a monster wood burner!
  15. Bkins

Bkins Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Jersey Shore
    Bump back to the top.

MSG,

Are your impressions the same after buring the Harman for a while?

Bkins
  16. rbcss

rbcss New Member

Loc:
    Windsor, Ct
    I agree, the wood fire will out do pellets. I went to pellets last year because the wood was getting to much to deal with. cutting and splitting stacking. I burned wood for 24 years but getting up in years it was getting tough to deal with. I had a hearth attack a couple off years backs and my wife shoulders are bothering her the kids are not around anymore burning wood was getting hard to deal with. the pellet stove works well with the low temp is at 15 degrees or higher anything below 15 the stove struggled. i didn't turn my furnace on until later in the season. if the outside temp was 15 or above my house stayed at 70 but if the weather outside got below 15 the temp inside was th the low to mid 60's.
    there is less work and mess with the pellet stove, but this year will be the tell tail if I keep it or not. i would like to keep it but I'm not going to be cold.
    I know what to expect with wood but I don't want to make another big investment and tring a coal stove.
  17. Vermont-XXV

Vermont-XXV Member

Loc:
    Champlain Valley, Vermont
    Mountain Stove Guy,

Wondering how you're making out with your pellet stove these days?

I finally got around to measuring the heat output. The air coming out of the top vent to warm the room is 260 degrees and when I turned the thermostadt down,the blower quieted and the stove heat went to 300 degrees on the top vent in front. That's with an OAK, temp outside 28 degrees and room humidity 60 percent. Burning Energex softgwood, out of Canada.

Looks like you have more weather than we do here. Still peak leaf, not stick season yet. Hope you're warm.

clifford
  18. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    The stove is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It has been cold for weeks now and my furnace is still turned off at the breaker. I have changed some of my burning habits and i run the stove 24/7 in stove mode. The bedrooms are a little chilly (to be expected) but overall the stove is doing great. The stove so far has proven very dependable and easy to clean. I have burned about a half a ton so far. I should have updated this earlier, but my hearth.com time has been severely cut by my work load. Sorry to keep ya hanging!
    -msg
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.