I am now even more impressed my wood grenade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinlp

Aug 9, 2006
Hyde Park, NY
The wood grenade impressed me even more last night. I went out at 9:45pm. I had ten large pieces of the pine from Warren that I had to split in half that were too big for the stove. I was going to use them to see if it was too cold to do some splitting. Blasted through them in 2 or 3 minutes and the cold air felt great. So I carted out the sledgehammer and wood grenade and set up the worklight with extension cord. I had about 25 rounds that ranged in size from rounds that made 4 pieces to rounds that made 8 pieces.

I was upstairs on the couch by 11pm.

1 HOUR 15 MINUTES. SETUP, CLEANUP, Splitting the pine and restacking, and 25 ROUNDS!

The ground was fairly firm so all the energy went right into the wood. I definitely plan on doing a lot more splitting this winter. The cold ground is much easier than what I have been dealing with this past summer and fall.

AMAZING! I only wish I had had more rounds cut up.....

Anyone who hand splits must try a wood grenade!

I think I made Warren a believer when I brought it over and took a piece of 16" or so elm and went dead center and popped it in half. It definitely is the toughest wood I've ever split. Took about 15 hits with the sledgehammer but it did it. I'm using an 8 lb sledge. After popping the round in half, splitting it into several pieces only took two or three hits.

Warren demonstrated why he curses elm when he hit an 8" piece with a maul and it just bounced off and barely cut it.

Attachments

• 93343.f.jpg
    93343.f.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 523
Another local!

Is this the home cheapo version (made in china) or a higher quality one from lehmans? KD

Some are made in Mexico. Does Home depot carry them ?

I also use the wood grenades and like them immensely also. I have seen them at the Walmart in Sedalia, MO and they run at $7 and change there and at Orscheln's farm supply at a much much higher price. The drawback is they are the Chinese model and my first one lasted a season before it broke 1 1/2 inch from the tip. It is still usable if I grind it to a pointier end. Never seen them at a Lowe's or Home Depot, however, you may have luck at a Tractor Supply?

The only place I have seen them is at Tractor Supply and the local Ace Hardware Store.

The Tractor Supply ones are the cheap chinese crap. Broke 3 or 4 in only 10 hours of use.

Right now using from one from Lehman's. Probably got 2 or 3 cords on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.