I am replacing door gasket on pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great! You should be fine. You have newspaper between the door and the stove? If they said 2 hours, you should be good to go. Once the door is shut, it will stay shut for a while, right? Do you have automatic ignition?

Chan

Yes, I put newpaper between the door and stove.

I do have automatic ignition. And once I start it up, it will stay running until tomorrow.

This stove seems to be tempramental, it wants to be cleaned every day! But that's ok, the warmth is worth it. And the $$ savings. I figured I've saved almost $300 so far this winter.

Yeah, pellet stoves are like that. It's not a lot of work, aspecially compared to cutting and splitting 5 or 6 cords of wood a year. (Did that) Depending on the pellets I'm burning, it can go a day or three or four before I have to shut it down and clean it. What kind of stove do you have? I seem to remember it was an odd brand?

Chan

It's made by SBI in Canada. It is a Flame FP35.

I really do like it, but boy have I gotten an initiation with it so far. The worst was bad pellets!! I got 3 bags where I bought it, Bayou...100% hardwood.
Not cheap, and they seem to take a long time to ignite, but hardly any ash is in the bottom of the stove!! The glass gets dirty, but not like it did with the crap pellets.

I've got a call in to the installer to come give it a darn good cleaning and use the better pellets and see how she goes. I think I got everything cleaned good except the horizontal exhaust. I just can't move the stove out from the pipe. Cleaned the rest of the chimney yesterday with the Soot Eater. Worked great, but just can't get it to make that bend at the T to go up in the horizontal pipe coming from the stove.

I hear you on the Bayou's. As per Jay's recommendation, I mixed them with my Oakies and they just disappeared :) I'm sure better pellets will make a huge difference. Jay's research should steer you right.

Good luck!

Chan

Status
Not open for further replies.