I am the proud owner of a Englander NC-30 (added a hearth question)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoon

Hearth Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
Southwest Missouri
Well I teetered back and forth on what stove I wanted. I mainly wanted something that was a nice looking value. I knew the value was the Englander, but pretty it is not. I had looked at some pretty stoves but they also cost a pretty penny. Well I headed off to my local Depot with a Lowes 10% off coupon. They just had one 30 left, priced at $999. Another home improvement store, Sutherlands, had one for $934, but it did not have any brass. When I saw they just had one I pretty much panicked and said I would take it. I went up to the register and said that I had a 10% off from Lowes they said that they would match it. However the guy at register asked what Lowes had it priced at. I said they did not carry them but the local Sutherlands had them on Special. I said their model number did not have the H on it. They said they would still price match. They adjusted the price to $934. Well this is where it gets exciting. Since there was a lower price they took off an additional 10%. Then they did the 10% Lowes coupon. $756 plus tax = $821 out the door. Almost like getting it on clearance, but I get to use mine this season. Also get my Obamabate.

edit: The price also includes a set of rachet straps that I bought because I forgot mine.

Yet another guy that buys one of those heating beasts after I bought the first on here three years ago. At list price damnit! Enjoy the stove. Don't like black, paint it. Me and the little brown haired girl think ours is the best looking wood burner on the planet.

Here's your shirt.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 427
BrotherBart said:
Yet another guy that buys one of those heating beasts after I bought the first on here three years ago. At list price damnit! Enjoy the stove. Don't like black, paint it. Me and the little brown haired girl think ours is the best looking wood burner on the planet.

Here's your shirt.

I may have given the wrong impression. I think it looks fine. I was worried that the wife would not like. Her reservations were settled by the fact that it had a glass door on it. She just wants to see the fire. :lol:

That stove has the best view of the fire of any stove on the market. Nothing in the way of the big ass glass in that door like a lot of stoves.

Ours is on an elevated hearth and all you see is fire.

BrotherBart said:
That stove has the best view of the fire of any stove on the market. Nothing in the way of the big ass glass in that door like a lot of stoves.

I have 2 heating beasts, 1 is on injured reserve, the other sitting and waiting patiently to be set in place. With NO fire viewing at this time.
All I hear is a burner and blower running. I can watch the curtains near the floor vent move a lil.

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

I have 2 heating beasts, 1 is on injured reserve, the other sitting and waiting patiently to be set in place. With NO fire viewing at this time.
All I hear is a burner and blower running. I can watch the curtains near the floor vent move a lil.

Put a kerosene lamp in the 30.

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

Put a kerosene lamp in the 30.

I was thinking maybe put some plywood in the patio slider and running some galvanized 6" from Lowes through it. Hook it up to the 50 and just calling it done.
;) I might as well go all out and put a MH on it.

Hogwildz said:
I was thinking maybe put some plywood in the patio slider and running some galvanized 6" from Lowes through it. Hook it up to the 50 and just calling it done.

Vent it like mine.

Attachments

• box stove 2.jpg
    box stove 2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 346
BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

Vent it like mine.

Looks great! Except the supports don't look like they would meet code. I'll use something a lil sturdier, like one of the old telephone poles laying in the field.

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

Vent it like mine.

Looks great! Except the supports don't look like they would meet code. I'll use something a lil sturdier, like one of the old telephone poles laying in the field.

IDK one more coat hanger straitened out and wrapped around to secure the supports and it would be fine

crazy_dan said:
Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

Vent it like mine.

IDK one more coat hanger straitened out and wrapped around to secure the supports and it would be fine

Whats wrong with the plastic zip ties I plan on using?

Yesterday I had to go by Lowe's to see for myself what all the hoopla was over the Englander stoves. They had three models sitting on the floor, still on the base cratings.

I am in no position to rain on your parade(s), but I gotta tell ya'll that I was not impressed.

For starters, it was obvious the stoves were painted after they were set on their shipping crate: They were covered with flat back spray paint . You would think Lowes would have discarded them and set the stoves on something new. The mid-range model I could not open the door on, as the upper hinge pin was gone. The door was latched, but it was there in that condition for all tire-kickers to open and have the door drop with all its weight on the lower pin. Not good. The little model (12 or 13), I could not believe the factory installed damper on the flue outlet. The plate was no where near centered in the hole! Both holes in the outlet piece were drilled off, and the damper was not even close. Too, having a damper welded in means trouble if any part of it ever needs replacing. As for the damper itself, it is designed to be either open or closed....thats it. It has a weighted slug welded to the round plate that won't allow it to be anywhere else. Another cheap pad is welded inside to hold the damper closed. The weighed slug on the plate keeps it open. I looked at Englanders manual that comes with the stove and they say to open the damper when the stove is running, and close the damper when its not......WTH? Why even put a damper on it? Futher, why is it non-adjustable? The 30 models door handle was such that the handle end hit the window glass frame before the door gasket was fully compressed.

Looking over the welds on all of the stoves.....all hurried. Tiny pieces of MIG wire were everywhere, easily snagged if you run a finger along.

I was not impressed. Inexpensive and get the job done, they might, but IMO these three stoves were built in rush mode, and if that little one went through a quality control check, that person needs to be fired.

I looked twice at the labels on the rear to see if they were not made in Taiwan or China, because they looked the part. Sorry, but that's what I saw.

Sorry if I am offending anyone, including Englander, but I would never put my name on any of them as they stood.

Other than that, how did you like'em? :lol:

I am not going to get into a stove pissing match other than to say I don't know anybody that doesn't paint their matte black stoves on the palette. Both of my blacks Jotuls were. Why not?

Those were floor models also, probably set up by someone that doesnt know a thing about stoves, maybe they were put there because of defects, who knows, not saying that accounts for everything. Everyone I know who has one loves the performance.

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

You need to find the right mood music, in order for the curtains moving to be better %-P

Hogwildz said:
crazy_dan said:
Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:

Vent it like mine.

Whats wrong with the plastic zip ties I plan on using?

Wow, I've got a load of those thin blue cables ties at the shop. Can ship if needed !!!!!!

For a hefty fee, natch :)

Spoon said:
Well I teetered back and forth on what stove I wanted. I mainly wanted something that was a nice looking value. I knew the value was the Englander, but pretty it is not. I had looked at some pretty stoves but they also cost a pretty penny. Well I headed off to my local Depot with a Lowes 10% off coupon. They just had one 30 left, priced at $999. Another home improvement store, Sutherlands, had one for $934, but it did not have any brass. When I saw they just had one I pretty much panicked and said I would take it. I went up to the register and said that I had a 10% off from Lowes they said that they would match it. However the guy at register asked what Lowes had it priced at. I said they did not carry them but the local Sutherlands had them on Special. I said their model number did not have the H on it. They said they would still price match. They adjusted the price to $934. Well this is where it gets exciting. Since there was a lower price they took off an additional 10%. Then they did the 10% Lowes coupon. $756 plus tax = $821 out the door. Almost like getting it on clearance, but I get to use mine this season. Also get my Obamabate.

edit: The price also includes a set of rachet straps that I bought because I forgot mine.

I think you got a great deal, ratchett straps included !!!

Pics of install next !!!

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Spoon said:

I think you got a great deal, ratchett straps included !!!

Pics of install next !!!

I sure will. I plan on having a professional put in my flue, but I am going to do the hearth myself. That leads me to a question. I was planning on building a hearth with 2x4s sandwiched between plywood with cement board on top of it. Then I would tile it. Is that sufficient?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

You need to find the right mood music, in order for the curtains moving to be better %-P

I could paint some flames on the curtains, and have life like fire movement each & every time the furnace kicks on. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.