I cleaned out the doghouse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Duck

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 26, 2009
Central PA
After reading a few posts about the 'doghouse' (the vents where primary air enters the stove below the stove door) I was cleaning ash from my stove the other day and lo and behold I found that my stove has a doghouse! I didn't know it was there, but below the ash lip inside the door opening there is a square tube with a single large hole in it apparently to let air into the stove down at coal level. It has been covered with ash for a long time but seems to be working now. It isn't making a huge difference, but it does seem that I am burning up coals a little better than before and it seems like I am setting the air a little lower than I was (although the wierd weather - rain in January? - makes it a little tough to tell). If anyone out there is getting poor draft you might want to make sure your doghouse is clear of ash. Mine is very easily buried and when removing ashes it is easy to miss clearing the doghouse.

Oh good! I thought you might be sleeping outside tonight. Glad to hear that it's the stove and all is working better.

Had this convo in a PM the other day.

Dog house ="s mucho importante !

I thought you meant this doghouse:

I use my ash hoe to push everything back away from the doghouse and then carefully rake the coals toward the doghouse.

LLigetfa said:
I thought you meant this doghouse:

I use my ash hoe to push everything back away from the doghouse and then carefully rake the coals toward the doghouse.

LMFAO....great vid. I can tell you who will be arriving there shortly....if my laptop does not get fixed
>:-(

Glad you found your doghouse wood duck... :)maybe others will find theirs..

That just made my day

I feel i have a love hate relationship with my doghouse. Sometimes it can torch through my wood and cause short/very hot burns, and sometimes i need it to burn down coals. Over the summer, i had the front of the stove apart, looking at how i could make the doghouse adjustable.

Status
Not open for further replies.