I control fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

73blazer

Hearth Supporter
And if I really believed that, I'd be a fool.

2 months ago, I watched my neighbor burn down his house due to poor wood burning practices. 3 years ago, I watched a guy 2 doors down the other way have a massive chimney fire.

I like watching my fire change when I turn down the air control. But believe me, I fully know that only works under the right circumstances, which have some tolerance, but not much...a little carelessness here or there, will catch up to you.

Both burn instances I speak of were them burning unseasoned wood, with perhaps some mitigating factors. The whole house burn had, well, an accelerant, because he couldn't get his unseasoned wood to start, he added used engine oil (a regular practice, for him)..to his "new" $80 craigslist special stove because his old one "burned out". The other guy just shoved 2 week old wood in his stove and choke it down straight away and wonder why his chimney caught fire. "I don't understand, I've had several chimney fires before, it usually is a good thing" ..... ok.....I'm not saying I know better or on some high horse...but....
Out were I live, we try to keep our distances, but at times when I do have interaction with the neighbors, I tried to politely tell them, that wood you cut down, let sit on the ground for 2 weeks, then split and put in your wood stove the same day, might not be the best practice.

Aside from an open masonry fireplace when we had when we were kids, which I never paid much attention to, I've never burned wood before moving to this house 7 years ago, when I installed a North Star fireplace in place of the builder special....I can only thank god, that this place existed to say...burn seasoned wood, burn seasoned wood, burn seasoned wood...and oh by the way, seasoned means split and stacked for at least one to two to three years. Not weeks. Otherwise, I'd have learned from them. The hard way.

Right now, it's 21 outside, the North star is up to temp rolling away....the glass is clear...the 2400sqft house is warm without the aid of $$$ propane...

I can only say...

Thank you, Hearth.com members.

Same here. I had no clue wood needed to be seasoned a year or more. Lucky for me my only chimney fire was contained in only a few seconds with a fire extinguisher. I was burning with some stove that had no name on it. I never checked the chimney before hooking up to it.

I thank God I didn't burn my house down. Thanks to this forum I cleaned the chimney, bought a Quadra-fire, and began seasoning my wood on pallets. Now I have the WS Ideal Steel stove, stainless steel liner, and am on the 3 year plan seasoning mostly oak and locust.

Education my friend, is the key to harnessing fire. your post describes why its so important. cant save them all though,

a few years back (my wife still rides me about this) we were coming home and passed a house a few hundred yards up the road from our house, I literally "smelled" the flue, looked, smoke rolling out and down. we got home, I told my wife, I gotta walk down there and see what the deal is. went down, knocked on the door, introduced myself and told him I was a technician with a stove manufacturer and noticed his chimney when I was passing by we chatted a but and I find he had just gotten a new stove (not mine <> ) anyway , he just got it hooked up, and was burning it today for the first time. I told him the smell was not good (when you do what I do you get that feeling) so he said "wanna take a look?" ad we went to the basement, the guy had a nice hookup, but the stove was seriously starving for air, I asked him about the hookup and the flue and whatnot, he had an old stove in there but it wasn't burning right , he thought it was the stove so he got this one. he had just pulled the old one and dropped in the new one, didn't even think of the chimney, I asked him to shut it down and I would come by tomorrow and look at it , even he could see it wasn't right, so he let it go out and turned on his central heat.

next day I show up , we checked the flue , nasty, was every bit of 50% blocked with creosote, I swept the flue, cleaned it out and we went to the woodpile, tested the wood, was quite damp, "guy said it was seasoned" explained how it wasn't and how the newer stoves are worse with green wood than the old were. he had some left over in the back from last season that tested good, so we restacked his pile to get to that easier. went back in , fired the stove and went over how to set it up to burn properly.

anyway, he's now a better wood burner, his house is safer, I sweep his flue every fall and again about half way through the season (be doing it in a couple weeks I suspect)

he comes by every Christmas eve with a card (wife likes Christmas cards) and a bottle of crown. I think I made out like a bandit on this deal. I have another friend in the neighborhood.

Education, my friend

Good story stoveguy!

sad part is its a true story, ever ride around when stoves are burning and you can smell the pitch in the smoke from a certain flue?
im a smoker so I typically have the window cracked. the smell of a sick chimney is not hard to pick up on if you are looking for it. they smell different

he comes by every Christmas eve with a card (wife likes Christmas cards) and a bottle of crown. I think I made out like a bandit on this deal. I have another friend in the neighborhood.

That was nice of you. Most would just comment and past by. I agree you made out in the deal. Good thing he's a drinker and not into fruit cakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Driving down the road I smell a lot more chimneys "running rich" than ones that have that lovely light hint of "roasted wood" coming from a proper fire with actual dry wood. Of course, there are always the ones you can actually see...(usually OWBs)

You da man, Mike! :cool: Oh, BTW, what stove does he have? ==c

didn't mention the "brand" earlier as i didn't want to create any thought that I was blaming the stove (which I wasn't) but the stove is a Century noncat f240007 (or whatever that amount of "0"s is supposed to be) he picked it up at the local TSC. decent stove compares roughly with our 13-nc

Status
Not open for further replies.