1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I could not wait for my sweep...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Swedishchef, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    After not being able to find a sooteater in my area or online at a reasonable price, I called my sweep and asked him to come sweep me out! $150. Ugh. But at least it will be done. My chimney is 7 feet above where it comes through my roof (along the edge) and that's a little too high to play chicken with a ladder..However I was able to get my face just barely under my T and saw only soft fluffy like soot on the inside of the chimney and it was only a dusting...

That being said, I just lit my first fire. 43F outside and 90% humidity. It's a damp and chilly day. Time to burn off the summer dust!

Andrew

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mudbug250

mudbug250 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Mississippi
    +1. My sweep is supposed to be coming next Monday. Yesterday it was in the 50's here, and my son begged me to start a fire because his ears were cold. So I looked up the chimney from the firebox and did not see much buildup at all, so I said what the heck. Started my fire with some fatwood and splitter splinters. After that was going, I threw on a couple of small splits. After that took off, I added 3 bigger splits. That burned for about 3 hours, and took the chill out of the living room.
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Not sure there's anything magic about getting your chimney swept over the summer. Could just as well be in January, I figure... as long as it gets done at least once a year.

Am I wrong? I have 3/4" mesh screen at the top, so anything that's going in that chimney during the summer is coming in 3/4" at a time. Hornets nests? I think they're flammable...
    neumsky likes this.
  4. jeanw

jeanw Member

Loc:
    ky
    Mudbug
    Give him a hat....... and long johns ,and undershirt and wool sweater.... If, I can hack it here in Ky.... a young whippersnapper can... LOL
    and I am cold natured..... hans always cold in cool weather, prob old enough to prob be His GM, LOL.....
    I live in such... soon as it gets cool.... Heck, I wear long skirts now , in winter and leg warmers, and such LOL
    Can NOT afford to fill up that propane tank... out back ....in this money pit house ( moved into months ago.....
    Just a saying
    Andrew,
    and My sweep is supp ..to come in about an hour.....supposedly $130 to clean.. already paid $20 for the inspection....last week.
    Later we will do it ourselves, hopefully like at other house..... but we had SS pipe there this is stone and flue tiles.....
    Take care all
    Jean
  5. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    I hear ya mudbug, LOL. Cold ears = time to make a fire.

Joful, I think you're right. It makes no difference when you get it done. However, I enjoy getting it done before the winter because I do not have a mesh and want to make sure nothing is up there. It is simply a preventative measure before the season. To me it's like getting a car inspected before you buy it instead of the week after... (in Quebec there are regulations that protect a car buyer for 30 days..)

Andrew
  6. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    if your country is as dry as ours it is a very good idea to clean/inspect chimney and clean the roof/gutters before starting the burn season.
    neumsky likes this.
  7. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    I'm a little confused. I know the sooteater can be had for a lot less than $150. Why not spend the money on the sooteater instead?
  8. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    What's a soot eater?
  9. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
  10. Jim.od3@gmail.com

Jim.od3@gmail.com Member

Loc:
    Portland, OR
    http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-Inc-RC...UTF8&qid=1349718723&sr=8-1&keywords=sooteater

SootEater is a product from a company called GARDUS. It's like a weed-wacker mounted on a set of flexible rods and driven by a standard drill. I just got one and it worked well. I cleaned the flue on my insert no problems. On my traditional fireplace I had a little difficulty containing the soot. You are supposed to tape up some plastic, but I have a natural stone hearth which is very uneven. Still thinking on a better method for next year.

-Jim
  11. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
  12. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
  13. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    Remember... men...are not men anymore! I don't know whats happened. Something happened to John Wayne...
  14. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    And let's not forget CHuck Norris! He's no longer in movies either...
    A
  15. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Chimney sweep = $225 in my area

SootEater = $80

Guess which I choose? :)

Shari
    PapaDave likes this.
  16. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky

Unless the "duties" are 110%, it's cheaper to just order it.. But.. then you have it, and never have to pay the sweep the $150 again..

I know in my world, that is a done deal.
  17. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I've paid $90 for a very thorough job on two occasions, and once $280 for a less than thorough job with another company. How many folks quoted you the $225 price?
  18. charly

charly Guest

The soot eater also unplugged my 4 inch gray water drain which was plugged about 6 feet out at a 90. :) More uses then just the chimney!