I deas on tying a tarp to a wood pile that will be shrinking with every burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
Keeping line tight could suck.

That wont work here,wet snow here from the warm coast.HEAVY!

lol,it's single row.Maybe from the bottom so it doesn't bother the tarp. :bug:

The snow always held down the tarp for us. I tried water jugs tied to the tarp and pieces of wood. After dealing with tarps, I choose tin sheets instead. Eventually I would like to built a woodshed.

We have to use front lawn where it's the only sunny place here and we're 50 ft from US RT1 so we're trying our best to look fairly neat.The tin sheets sound ok.

I got handed 100' X 25' of heavy duty white plastic last year, gratis. (Think kinda heavy duty home made skating pond stuff)

As I discovered last winter, it blends in really well with the snow >:-( , held up well, too. I'll be reusing the same pices this year, and saving all of the rest. Cool beans, until I can get a wood shed up and running.

We have green tarp but looking for ways to hold it so when the wood pile is being used we have a way to keep the lines tight or doing it's job.Just covering the top 2 ft should be easy i guess.

I put sheets of OSB over my cords. I tried tarps last year and everytime a bit of wind would come through they would be all in teh woods or get shredded apart.

Tarps are a real PITA & alway need adjusting or chasing in the wind.
Nate's OSB or plywood ideas might work better & as $$ cheap or cheaper. Just paint the top so it lasts a few years & use bungees on each corner down to the pallets. Prop up one end
as you get wood off the stack & bungee it back down when done. Next time work the other end.

I can hear the "need to build a basic woodshed" gears turning, :)
Good luck

I have stack on pallets. 3 to be exact. I have criss crossed end stacks and one in the middle. I then use landscaping timbers or 4x4s, roll the end of the tarp up on them and set on top. Works well untill your really down low and lots of snow.

Gosh describing it makes me drool for a wood shed.

First year of burning wood I tarped my wood . . . I just threw a few punks, chunks and uglies on top to hold down the tarp until the snow came . . . there was some flapping, but it was just a cheap blue tarp and even then I had plans to build a nice woodshed so I didn't really truly care what happened to the tarp.

I've used rocks in the past to hold tarps down on the ground.
You probably don't have those in Maine, though.
buckets of sand might work. Nice bright orange ones so you can locate the pile of wood in the Winter.

As I suggested in another thread - last year I took my heavy duty hammer stapler out and just stapled the tarp down all around the sides. It worked quite well. Yes, I put little puncture holes in the edge of the tarp, but no major long term damage there. By putting 'enough' staples in there wind can't get under the tarp and I can leave one end open to pull wood out (or pull from middle and leave a bridge of tarp hanging between the stacks).

I may have to take pictures after I get the pile covered here - won't be long now... just waiting for a good string of dry days after all this rain before I cover (I don't want to cover it up all super soaked of course.. ).

I've used the black and white throw away tarps like you see in construction. Basicly plastic with thread weaved in. I juct cut it so the tarp hung over the sides 6" the nailed it to the splits on the sides with button cap nails. It worked really good. WHEN THE TARP HANGES OVER TO MUCH JUST CUT IT OFF.

Slow1 said:
...last year I took my heavy duty hammer stapler out and just stapled the tarp down all around the sides...

After a season or two of struggling with tarps/wind/snow/whatever...I, too, used staples and it worked like a charm. Not a gun, but individual heavy duty staples (left over from doing interior wiring) set in with a hammer. I left them a bit proud so they'd be easy to remove when the time came. As I used wood during the winter, it was easy to adjust the tarp so I'd have access, but the tarp would stay in place. Still a sometimes miserable way to go, so I built a shed. Rick

blujacket said:
bungee the tarp to concrete wall blocks

For bungees, when I've tarped my stacks in the past (stacks on pallets), I've used nails in the pallets, about 1/2 driven in and knocked to point toward the ground, to hold the bungee to the tarp. Worked real well. Cheers!

Problem with tarps when removing wood: On the row you are removing, use something like a 2 x 12 plank or something similar. As you remove the wood, the tarp will just drape over the planking (of course you still have to hold it down so the wind doesn't blow it away). Place some fence posts or poles to hold the plank up where you've removed the wood. At least it will look much neater and will work well for continuing to remove more wood. Naturally as you get closer to the end you'll have to give in and drop that tarp anyway.

I've been giving some consideration to putting a 2 by something across the sides of my pile (note that it is a large cube - 10x12' or so) and screwing them into the top edges to use as 'nailers' for the tarps this year. Heck I have to change something in the name of improved design every year after all. Fence posts might be nice but I don't know about sinking them in at this point (pile is there already, would be rather hard to get them placed). Perhaps next year that will be the next step... fence posts at corners, then the 2 by ?? to stretch tarps across as a sort of temp roof... sounding a lot like a shed now eh? I can't put a real structure and have to avoid it looking like one, but that might pass as a non-structure....

Of course in my configuration with such a large expanse I have to consider the sagging middle issue (results in puddles bordering in ponds in the middle unless there is a hole in the tarp that turns it into a funnel pouring water into the middle of the stack..). I deal with that by stacking my pile higher in the center and tapering it down towards the edges (another improvement for this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.