I did it! Bought a Englander 12-FP tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amkazen

Dec 29, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
I was able to buy a 12-FP tonight for approx. $360 instead of the $499 price. It doe snot have a box, a manula, the gasket appears to be frayed where the two ends meet, and at least one of the bricks has a 1 - 1.5" piece of one corner broken off. I had been watching one 12-FP at a different Home Depot to go on clearance and it had not done so yet. I stopped at this other Home Depot, saw this one, and asked what the best they could do on it given the issues I described above. The Garden Dept. guy said 10% and I kind of sounded a little dejected, and asked iif he could do more. He said no, but this other guy who had also been helping me could. This other guy was a manager and he said 15%. I said I was hoping for 20% and they both looked at each other, and said sure. I also get another 10% discount because of an agreement between Home Depot and the company I work for part-time so the entire discount turned out to be about 28% (10% off the already reduced 20% off price). I am excited! And, my decision to watch the Englanders at Home Depot has to do with two things: this site and the comments made about Englander, and the fact Englander 1)participates on this site, 2) does not denigrate their competition, 3) works quickly to resolve any issues a Englander owner has, 4) listens to ideas this site proposes (such as a surround for their stoves), and 5) I forget.. :)
Now, I just need to get help to get it out of the back of my Expedition.

No offense, but you shoulda waited for the 13's to go on sale. The 13 is a much better stove - the 12 doesn't pass EPA. The HD up here has dozens of 13's and 30's in stock, and now has them displayed right where you walk into the store, but they haven't budged on price... yet. Consider taking the 12 back before you install it...

checked the store over near Cottonwood: only (1) NC-30 and lot s of pellet stoves. checked the store off Montgomery & Renaissance and they have (1) 12-FP, (1) NC-30 and lots of pellet stoves. checked the store on Eubank and they had this 12-FP, (1) NC-30, and lots of pellet stoves. did not check the Los Lunas, Bernalillo/Rio Rancho, or Santa Fe (your area) stores.

The 13 is listed at heating 1,500 sq. ft. which is too big for our needs...The 12 is listed at heatiing 1,000 sq. ft. which is perfect...the EPA aspect, to me any way, does not make it a bad stove as if it did it would not have been sold in the last few years, or even been allowed to have been manufactured.

It will not be installed for at least 3 weeks or so as we have to build our "new" 400 sq. ft. bedroom and move the bed, dresser, etc. into the new area. I said "new" as we are enclosing a covered deck that is off the master bedroom in order to offset the "shrinking" of our home's total sq. ft. by the goofball appraiser who appraised our house in April 2007? How the heck does a combination concrete wall and solid cedar log home shrink by 360 sq. ft.? By some crazy math & measuring done by goofball appraisers.....that ripped us off of $72,000 of our home's value ($200 per sq. ft. x 360 sq. ft.) and denied us the refinancing we wanted to do last year. Oh well, things happen for a reason as now interest rates are lower, and we found a way to get the 360 + sq. ft. back so getting a good appraisal this spring should be in the cards. Bur, I have digressed and the focus of this post is the 12-FP stove.

And, I also discovered tonight the leg kit is missing from the stove and since my wife has now seen a picture of the stove with the legs I have been told I will order the leg kit for it....... So, I will be contacting Englander some time in the next few weeks to order the leg kit, the blower, and the side panels. I expect to fire it up for the 1st time by Feb 10!

If you are ever down this way give me a shout and perhaps we can get together and talk stoves!

precaud is correct. The 12-FP is EPA exempt as a 35 to 1 stove. If you can get a model 13, swap it out. The model 13 is rated as heating a larger area because it's much more efficient. You don't need to run the 13 at full capacity, but it will provide nice reserves. The 12 is not clean burning and will go through much more fuel. It is essentially a sort of freestanding fireplace (FP). If that's what you intended to buy, then stick with it. But it doesn't sound like what you intended to buy.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11689/
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_35_to_1_wood_burning_stove

Status
Not open for further replies.