I didn't know this: Cat vs non-Cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's kind of how my set up works. Stove in a fireplace and heats all the stone in the fireplace I can even feel warm stones upstairs, when I let the stove go out the stones radiate heat for hours.

Same here, except increase Seasoned Oak’s 2 tons to 1 million pounds for the stone part of my house. Unfortunately, due to the greater temperature difference being on the outside face of the stone, more net energy is radiated in that direction.

Is the torch super toxic? I hadn't considered this possibility.

Much cleaner than burning wood.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane

SmartSelect_20190213-114549_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the torch super toxic? I hadn't considered this possibility.

Toxicity is all about the dose. Water is toxic if you drink enough.

One drawback to the torch, it’s loud. For those 10 seconds or whatever it takes, you’ll have to raise your voice to communicate verbally.

Reactions: illini81
What are you wanting to get away from by getting away from using paper?

Can't think of anything easier, less expensive, less toxic or that works much better than a couple balls of newsprint. I use that on the bottom, another couple on top that get lit first to get heat going up the chimney good - and use a trigger torch to light them up.

Well, originally because the vendor said to not use paper to protect the cat. I think I will start using it because of the points you make and it doesn't seem like it should hurt the cat with just the startup. I'm trying to void having to buy "stuff" to light the fire, which includes another benzo tank when this one goes out.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Well, originally because the vendor said to not use paper to protect the cat. I think I will start using it because of the points you make and it doesn't seem like it should hurt the cat with just the startup. I'm trying to void having to buy "stuff" to light the fire, which includes another benzo tank when this one goes out.

Paper + cats is something I don't know anything about. Maybe someone else will chime in. Newsprint will make a bit of ash.

Are you having to do a lot of cold starts? No hot coals left to load on?

Unfortunately, due to the greater temperature difference being on the outside face of the stone, more net energy is radiated in that direction.
Definitely advantages to having the entire concrete structure inside the thermal envelope. Like a masonry stove.

Reactions: Rhodie and Ashful

I do agree, it would be better if there were some kind of super easy fire starter that doesn't require stuff. I like using Birch bark, but I've used a ton more than I thought I would need and my seemingly endless supply doesn't seem to be as endless as I thought. Newspaper also requires me to leave my house, so I might as well get a torch at that point. Sometimes I use a wood carving knife to make some shavings to light my kindling, but that only works when I have kindling, and it's work. I see a lot of hooplah about the Super Cedars, but I don't know.

I see a lot of hooplah about the Super Cedars, but I don't know.

SuperCedars are great, my favorite fire starter, but they’re a luxury. Those saving $1000 per year on their heating bill might afford themselves the luxury of a pre-made firestarter, but it’s by no means a necessity. Newspaper and kindling still works fine, if you don’t mind making kindling.

Reactions: Highbeam
If you are splitting your own wood, you are making kindling. We have boxes of scraps from splitting. Another great source of free kindling is cabinet making and wood trim shops. And also flooring installation shops, though you must get only unfinished scraps and may want to split them in half with a hatchet.

Reactions: AlbergSteve

Those things are actually made at a factory close to me and the manufacturer used to post here. Great outfit and product. Blaze king used to, or maybe still does, include a supercedar with the new stove so it's safe to assume that they are approved for use in a BK cat stove. All that said, the supercedars are like the tenderloin steak of the firestarter world. Very expensive compared to the alternatives but if your budget is like 2000$ for fire starters then whether you spend 50 cents or 50$ per year doesn't really matter.

You can buy little sawdust/wax firestarter blocks at walmart and chop them up into golf ball sized chunks that can be lit with a match. Those worked for me for several years.

We kids don't get newspapers anymore and you're not supposed to burn colored stuff or plastic which is the junkmail we do get.

In my climate and with the 9 month long burn season I light a lot of fires. It's part of heating 100% with wood heat in the warmer parts of the year.

What did I miss?!?

Edit: lol... I see you fixed your post!

I tend to post and then reread immediately, that statement could easily be interpreted the wrong way so I fixed it within a minute. You were fast!

Maybe in my next career making something cool like supercedars would be fun. Not sure I can do nothing after I wrap it up at the current occupation.

Reactions: Ashful

Think about not ever needing to make, gather or store kindling again. No more paper fire starter. Etc. The S.C. hoopla is genuine. 1/4 of a puck inserted in a full load of large dry splits and its off and running. No muss, no fuss. Order a box and try them. Then you can form your own opinion. FWIW!

Reactions: gregbesia
For me after trying many ways, supercedar cuts the time of having everything going and running quick. Torch requires kindling and time, newsparper, well, time consuming too. Running two stoves and letting one going out if weather is not bad, I do a lot of lighting on one of them. After trying different ways, I just need a piece almost on top and a little piece on each side of the load and shut the door and walk away. Everything catch good.
Most of the time i use the kindling when the coal bed is almost gone and just toss some pieces on top of coals to make it catch quick. I know is not cheap but works great. I feel that with the torch I have to tend more the fire and sometime closing the door it goes out.

As I look for a new stove, I have stayed away from even looking at Cat stoves.
But the performance of the Blaze King Ashford 30.2 looks very good to me and it comes with a 10 warrantee on the Combuster.

As I look for a new stove, I have stayed away from even looking at Cat stoves.
But the performance of the Blaze King Ashford 30.2 looks very good to me and it comes with a 10 warrantee on the Combuster.
Yes but it won't last 10 years. You will probably replace it 3 times in 10 years. Only the first will be covered

Yes but it won't last 10 years. You will probably replace it 3 times in 10 years. Only the first will be covered
With that kind of warranty they can cover it for 100 yrs knowing they are only on the hook for 1.

Reactions: bholler
You will probably replace it 3 times in 10 years.

Likely not, if he lives in Tennessee. How many burning hours per season will he expect to use it?

I replaced one of mine after 15,000 hours, the other a bit longer than that. Could have stretched them longer, but they’re too inexpensive to bother being cheap about it.

Im going to have to disagree with this slightly. I use my stove about 4 times more then anyone else in my neighborhood. Not 24x7 like some here but defiantly more then avg for my area. Im going into year 6 on my combuster. I did order a new one for this year but its because I want to pull mine and clean behind it. I will just pull my old one and clean it well and heep it as a back up unit.

Ok but the 10 yr warranty means nothing at all.

Ok. So what are some recommendations for a medium Cast Iron stove.
Start a new thread on the topic and tell us in that thread a bit more about the house, heating requirements, stove location, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.