I don't have the required clearance, where do I go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
The old hearth is gone, down to particle board flooring. I made a template of the BKK, and have a clearance issue. One corner is fine, but the other is only 4" to drywall. Top it off, I have -on average- about 3" of funky concrete stone and mortar attached to the drywall. The flue pipe was installed to avoid the roof trusses, not to be safety compliant I think. I think I need an offset pipe. I am not concerned about looks, just a safe install. Top of stove w/hearth will be 41.75", leaving me 57.25" vertical to the longest side of the inside of the ceiling off-set adapter pipe. The class A is all Metalbestos. The stove will be installed about 45 deg. from a 90 deg. corner. It's a simple corner install, just without the recommended clearance. What should I do? Thanks, JB

Wow, I re-read this and got confused myself. The BKK calls out 6" clearance , @ the corner points for a 45 deg. install., minimum. I have 3" of non-combustible material, + 1"air between the back corner of the stove and the wall. I'm pretty sure I should off-set it, towards the front. I need to decide on this, as the new hearth is all steel framed, and I'm not a fan of welding in the house(though I've done it). Thanks.

Beetle-Kill said:
..... What should I do? Thanks, JB

A couple pictures sure would compliment your questions, as I am trying to envision your predicament and am having a really tough time.

Also, was the stove already purchased? ie. are other lower clearance stoves an option?

Sorry, no pics. I was running around like a crazy person last night. yes, stove is here, done deal. Someone here posted a few off-set comparisons between brands of pipe, just can't remember the thread. If neccessary, I'll fab. one.

Beetle-Kill said:
Sorry, no pics. I was running around like a crazy person last night. yes, stove is here, done deal. Someone here posted a few off-set comparisons between brands of pipe, just can't remember the thread. If neccessary, I'll fab. one.
1wall pipe clearance= 18", 2wall pipe= 6"

Beetle-Kill said:

Download the stove pipe mfg. catalog or installation manual for the pipe. There will be offset tables in the manual. This stove should be installed with double-wall pipe according to Blaze King.

Just do the offsets at the ceiling and place the stove per the specs. 6" is really close anyway and you'll want to be able to clean back there and access that freaking awesome feature.... the thermostat.

Thanks. I think I have it covered, should have more than required clearance and good access to the controls and bypass handle. Off-sets at the ceiling, plus two contrasting angles of stove and off-sets gets me there. Now for the welding and tile.

Status
Not open for further replies.