Single Wall vs. Double Wall Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gtilflm

Apr 2, 2023
Spokane, WA
Hi there. We've bought a new Lopi Liberty and are now working on venting/install. We're going to be fine on clearances for single wall (it's a corner install).

An installer came out to give a bid, and I mentioned wanting to do single wall pipe to save money. He cautioned that single wall pipe wears out much quicker (4-6 years depending on usage, he said) as compared with double wall pipe (20ish years, he said).

Four our setup, we'll need about...
  • 9' of stove pipe to get to the ceiling
  • 8' of Class A chimney pipe (about 2.5' from drywall, through scissor trusses, to shingles; then about 5.5' from shingles to top to be in compliance with the 2-3-10 rule)
  • Stove: Lopi Liberty

So based on that, is the installer full of **** or does single wall in this setup really have a lower life span? Or maybe it depends on the quality/brand of the single wall vs. double wall?

With 9' of stove pipe you want double wall. With single wall it will cool off too much and cause excessive creosote in you chimney.

Reactions: NickW
With modern stoves the chimney is truly the "engine" that drives the stove. It needs to stay hot enough to maintain draft besides not getting creosote buildup. Absolutely go double wall.

Invest in a digital flue probe thermometer to monitor flue temperatures, they give a much better idea of what's going on temperature wise than a stove top thermometer. Many of us use both.

If this is your first EPA stove, be aware that they need to run much higher temperatures than the old smoke dragons, but because of the airtight nature more of the heat goes into heating the home instead of up the chimney. They also take longer to get to cruising temperature, but don't get loaded as often. My cruising zone in cold weather is flue temp of around 700 at 18" above the stove with a stove top temperature (stt) of around 600.

Most importantly, truly dry wood is of utmost importance. You likely WILL NOT purchase dry wood from a firewood seller no matter what they claim. Seasoning time begins at cut/split/stack (css). Stacked in spring might be ready to burn by fall depending on species and climate, but don't bet on it. Learn about wood species, seasoning times, and BTU output. The golden goal is to get 3 years ahead on the wood supply. Sub 20% moisture content is required (measured on a fresh split at room temperature using a moisture meter, pins inserted parallel to the grain in several locations, not the end).

Being in WA, @begreen may chime in with helpful hints for you.

I'd go double-wall. It lasts longer because it is better constructed with a stainless inner sleeve. It will draft better and stay cleaner.

I recommend double wall as well. But not for durability. Good single wall will last a very long time as long as it's not in a damp basement or something like that. But you have a pretty long run double wall will help with performance allot

Not much savings considering the total investment, probably $100.
For 9' of doublewall? I don't think so. You couldn't do single wall for $100

I think he is referring to the difference in price?

Yes I was referring to the difference. I paid $157 for telescoping double wall, I think it was 6' long. The OP just bought a new stove and is having a chimney professionally installed. The price difference in stove pipe is so little in comparison to the total cost that it's not worth it to use SW.

Reactions: stovelark
Yes I was referring to the difference. I paid $157 for telescoping double wall, I think it was 6' long. The OP just bought a new stove and is having a chimney professionally installed. The price difference in stove pipe is so little in comparison to the total cost that it's not worth it to use SW.
Ahhh. Ok. Pipe pricing has skyrocketed though

Is Selkirk a quality brand? I've seen Duravent and a couple others, but I have no idea about the quality difference between any of these.

I bet @bholler would have a take though. 😀

Is Selkirk a quality brand? I've seen Duravent and a couple others, but I have no idea about the quality difference between any of these.

I bet @bholler would have a take though. 😀
Selkirk has a variety of lines from value to premium. They are all under the DuraVent parent company now. I'm not particularly fond of their double-wall DSP stove pipe. I don't particularly like the inner and outer crimping.

Selkirk has a variety of lines from value to premium. They are all under the DuraVent parent company now. I'm not particularly fond of their double-wall DSP stove pipe. I don't particularly like the inner and outer crimping.
Same here. Is it safe? Absolutely. Will it hold up sure. But does it look as good or seal as well as ventis or Excell not at all