I feel for those still without power, considering only about 4 hours off-line has me stumped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

So far, the wife hasn't killed me (obviously) for having a 16kw standby generator sitting there, with the propane not hooked up! But the real story . . .

When the electric went out, the air flap on the GW closed and of course the circulator quit. 4 hours later when the electric came back on, I noticed that the air vent canister (at the fill T) was blowing off steam. I eventually ended up taking every bit of remaining fuel out of the beast. When it cooled down to where I thought it safe, I removed the air vent canister. The groan blew steam for probably 10 minutes!! The inside of the unit was awesome. I have never seen the heat exchange tubes so clean!! Anyway, I left the load door open and the air vent canister off all night. By 10 am the next day (about 26 hours after the electric went out) the temp gauge read about 80*. I began refilling the beast and once she was full of fluid the temp went up around 160*. When I plugged the beast in, the pump started circulating, whichh allowed the air damper to open.

The GW has a flow switch which will not allow the damper to open if it does not sense flow. Up to this point, there must have been a "steam lock" in the iron pipe at the top of the loop, whic was not allowing fluid past the flow sensor, thus not allowing the flap to open.

So anyway, I fire the GW up about 10:30 yesterday and observe it through a few cycles. Everything seems to be fine. Saturday night comes and I load the beast and go to bed. Works wonderful over night. In fact, I get an 11 hour burn - gotta love big ass red oak rounds. So I put a partial load in about 9am Sunday. When I get back home at about 12:30, the house is beginning to cool down. I check the GW, which is at 160*, but the flap is closed and we are blowing off steam again.

So I'm in the middle of the drill all over again. When the power went out, I assume the lack of circulation made the temp spike, which made the steam. But what happened this time? Did the damper get stuck open? And isn't there a quicker way to cool the beast down? If the fluid was actually flowing, I'd have it cooled down in a few minutes by taking heat off at the house. But when the flow is blocked by steam . . .

The sound of hearing my oil burner is going to make me crazy!!!

Anyway, any ideas? And I hope everyone made out better in the ice than I did.

Jimbo

Funny, Jimbo, but I was hauling some wood this afternoon and I wondered 1.) if you had lost power 2.) whether or not you ever got your generator hooked up, and, 3.) if the answers to the previous questions were "yes" and "no," then did you have a cooking utensil sticking out of your body.

jimbo you have to have the genset ready to go . ihave a 7kw hooked into the 500 gal. propane tank.it worked like a charm,we were out for 12 hours.how do you get a long burn like that? i loaded mine lat night at 10.five big rounds of oak or beech and when i went out at 6 am i just had a few coals and water temp was at 160 reloaded it and it lasted till 2 pm today. it has warmed up a bit so that might help.do you have any water temp sensors on your feed and return lines? hope you get things back to normal.

Just a guess but you may have fried the hi-hi limit aquastat when it boiled off the first time and now your dump zone isn't working??

I didn't set it up with a dump zone. It has never been over 200* that I am aware of before the power outage. The GW senerally seems to do a good job of cutting off air. Even when burning at 60* outside.

Last night it finally started circulating again. I had left it plugged in, and the pump was making noise like it was running. But one of the million times I was standing there watching it, all of a sudden the pump noise changed and I could tell it was actually circulating. The temp gauge went from 220 down to 160* quickly, and the damper opened. Ilet it circulate for 15 minutes, unplugged it, and removed the float valve at the fill T. Fluid was right there, seemed like no air or steam (good thing, since my gloved hand was on it) so I put the float valve back in and filled the reservoir. I let it circulate for another 15 minutes.

One thing that is amazing about that much refractory . . . I had pulled every bit of fuel out of the beast 4 hours earlier and left the load door wide open, and it still was producing 160* water.

Anyway, I reloaded the coals which I had pulled, put a few small rounds of oak on, and in 10 minutes the damper shut. I observed the operation of the beast much of the night, and it seems to be working 'normal'. But when is it going to happen again?

I think either:
1)I didn't get all the steam/air out the first time, or the reservoir went dry when I was gone and reintroduced an air pocket, or
2)The damper is getting stuck open intermittantly, causing the groan to overheat, or
3) The Taco 10 is failing intermittantly, causing the over heat.

I can't SEE anything wrong with the damper, so for now I will keep a close eye on the reservoir. I'm thinking next time this happens - assuming the boiler survives it - I will replace the circulator.

I went through two 007's the first was defective from the foctory the second ran dry for a short period of time and crapped out. So I switched to a B&G;. The B&G;is a tough unit. It ran dry for about 2 hours while I was out hunting and my GW decided to boil off. It is still working perfectly, although I did install a new one on the GW. It's still humming along on the basement zone. I'd rather use Made in USA stuff but China won this time.

I actually run a 10 because of the length of the run and the elevation rise. All my zone pumps in the house are Grunfos . . . do they make ones that I can use for constant circ? Anyone else ever use the B&G;??

I'm using the NRF-22 wich is comparable to the 007. They have a full line so I'm sure they have something that will work. Google Bell and Gossett.

the one on your boiler ahs to run 24/7 or you would get a boil over . how far is your run from the house to the boiler room?

Approx 75' run with approx 15' elevation rise from 20-plate HX to Taco 10 on the back of the Green Beast

Status
Not open for further replies.