I have permission to cut up tops and leftovers from my neighbors property that was logged about 3 years ago. There is a lot of wood and most of it is quite dry. The bark is off or falls off as soon as you touch it and much of it is starting to develop splits in it from drying. But I dont know what kind of wood it is or how to tell. None of has any sap or pine smell so that is encouraging but I hate to put a lot of work into cutting wood that should not be burned in my furnace. Im not even sure how how much it matters what wood I burn. Can anyone offer me some insight as Im confused.