For those of you who remember last year I mentioned that my parents neighbor's house had a very serious fire. At the time I got that it was a chimney fire...that's all. A few days ago I talked to them and got the straight story. I stopped by to thank them for all the wood they were bestowing upon me... about 1.5 cords of mostly seasoned maple, some cedar and apple. So I asked them what happened. The chimney had a crack in the original masonry flue tiles and over the many years cresote had built up from fireplace fires and the chimney had never been cleaned. The creosote had lit off and that monster fire got out into the attic space. So the sad part of this is that now that they have completely rebuilt the chimney to current code and have ensured that it's safe...they don't want to use the fireplace. I wonder if they'll even use the Pellet stove they have in the basement. The lesson here is: Clean your chimney!