1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I finally got the story

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by wg_bent, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wg_bent

    wg_bent Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2005
    Messages:
    2,248
    Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    For those of you who remember last year I mentioned that my parents neighbor's house had a very serious fire. At the time I got that it was a chimney fire...that's all.

    A few days ago I talked to them and got the straight story. I stopped by to thank them for all the wood they were bestowing upon me... about 1.5 cords of mostly seasoned maple, some cedar and apple. So I asked them what happened.

    The chimney had a crack in the original masonry flue tiles and over the many years cresote had built up from fireplace fires and the chimney had never been cleaned. The creosote had lit off and that monster fire got out into the attic space.

    So the sad part of this is that now that they have completely rebuilt the chimney to current code and have ensured that it's safe...they don't want to use the fireplace. I wonder if they'll even use the Pellet stove they have in the basement.

    The lesson here is: Clean your chimney!!!!

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. velvetfoot

    velvetfoot Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2005
    Messages:
    6,475
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Most fires around here, on a subjective basis from listening to TV news, are started by unattended candles! What's the mechanism with that, anyway?
  3. brian_in_idaho

    brian_in_idaho New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2006
    Messages:
    157
    Loc:
    Jewel Lake (Sagle), Idaho
    Stupid people, I would think. We had one like that around here, a mother left her baby in a carrier or something on the table, a candle lit some dried flowers on fire, end result was a house fire and dead baby. Tragic end.
  4. wg_bent

    wg_bent Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2005
    Messages:
    2,248
    Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I'll have to admit a candle came very close to burning my house down...I learned that lesson!!!

    The candle was one of those earthy candles where they bore a big hole in the middle of a birch log, insert a copper sleeve, then put a candle in the center. The candle was sitting on the kitchen stove (you'd think that would be save eh?). The range hood had a decorative oak cover on it. Well, the candle burned all the way down and the bottom of the birch log was not protected by the copper and the log itself caught on fire. Birch log + candle wax = pretty impressive flame. The cabinets had just gotten a bit of black soot on them easily wiped off, but when I walked into the room flames were almost touching the wood cabinets. I picked up the whole thing and tossed it in the sink and poured water on it. VERY Scary!!

    We no longer purchase any candles that are contained in a combustible container. Also, almost never burn them anymore.
  5. heydan

    heydan New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2006
    Messages:
    107
    Loc:
    Milllis, MA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page