I Gave Away Wood (WHAT?!?!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
Well, for all of us lucky ones who've scored free wood, here's one for the other side. I finished up splitting and stacking this past weekend. Got 10 1/2 full cord now, will last for awhile. So, I had this small pile of rounds left over, good cherry, about a face cord, maybe a little more. My neighbor up the road burns, so I told him he could have it. He looked at me kind of funny, and said, "uh, well, if you insist".
Now I'm REALLY losing it.

well, maybe he will re-pay you some day, when you may need it! 10.5 cord would last me two years and no more. How long will it last you?

Good karma is nice to have.

My brother has an old smoke dragon that he uses once in a while, although with the rising cost of heating oil, I think he will lean on it more this winter. I gave him about a 1/4 of a cord of sugar maple I scored last week.

Have you ever needed to borrow wood in a pinch? Whether it be because you ran out because of underestimation, a new house, unexpected illness or situation a half cord of wood never looked so nice when your family is facing the cold.

Now that I am stocked up very well and obviously, I have been getting the occasional inquiry for 5-10 pieces for a camp fire. The non-home heat burners don't value firewood as we do. They see it as recreation or a pyro sickness since their burning is purely recreational.

I expect this winter to bring out more folks that need wood for survival heat this year. I am a little worried about theft to be honest. If you're cold, and you're my buddy in the winter then I can help you with my extra. Don't make the same mistake next year though.

My neighbor, who only has a fireplace, has an enormous collection of firewood stacked like a fence around his back yard. I have "borrowed" a wheelbarrow or three from him when I have been a little short. He doesn't seem to want any back in return. He also will give away wood to others with fireplaces and seems to just really enjoy splitting wood. I've tried to convince him to put in an insert, but he doesn't want to hear it. He is out there scrounging wood with the best of us and has turned me on to a few sources. I have volunteered my splitter on occasion for some of the really tough pieces and it all seems to just work out. It's not really a competition and he knows we are serious about wood. Nice neighbor, if a little strange...

Chris

Adirondackwoodburner said:
well, maybe he will re-pay you some day, when you may need it! 10.5 cord would last me two years and no more. How long will it last you?
If we don't have two really brutal winters in a row, then probably two seasons.

Still waiting for my neighbour (age 75) to offer me some of his 20 year old wood from his woodshed? Another weekend , pick up his papers, water their gardens, but, hmmm... Just kidding :) but I wouldn`t mind trying some of that almost petrified stuff in my new insert this winter.

Best neighbours we have ever had, we take care of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.