I get a POOF of flame when lighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

defsaturn6501

Sep 18, 2020
East Stroudsburg PA
I have a Duluth Forge FDF300R propane fireplace that was installed before we moved in to our house. It will always light for me, but it seems weird that i get a poof of flame when it finally lights. So I dont usually leave the pilot lit at all, so I start by lighting that (takes a while for the propane to get through the line. Then I set it to on and it wont instantly light. I always have to keep hitting the piezo lighter to get it to light finally and I get a small burst of flame before it kicks in. This doesnt seem like it should do that to me lol. Is there something that needs to be cleaned or something im missing. Thanks!

Leaving the pilot on will probably eliminate the delayed ignition you are experiencing.
LP is heavier than air & can "puddle" below the pilot flame. Once that "puddle" gets deep
enough, the fuel reaches the pilot & ignites. By leaving the pilot on, the fuel will tend to ignite
more quickly. The pilot will also help to keep the firebox "warm" Which eliminates the glass
fogging up when the burner lights. Short of getting a tech in site to diagnose it, you may
have to just live with it...

Reactions: defsaturn6501
Hey thanks! Really appreciate that super concise explanation! I’m going to try and leave the pilot light on and see if that helps. I was always chicken to leave it lit (I know it’s irrational lol)

You're welcome. The pilot will cost you about 800 BTU per hour,
& will burn a gallon of LP in about 114.5 hours (4.77 days). Minimal
cost for good results. Lit ours tonight for the first time. We have a
frost warning forecast & the wife wants warmth.

Reactions: defsaturn6501