I got my new to me 044 out today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatisup02

Feb 3, 2012
MI
Well I got some wood to cut so I got the 044 out for the first time. It worked great. Cut fast and put a smile on me from ear to ear. It made my old saw seam like a hand saw. I took a few pics. The pic with the saw in the log is 26" across. Made the 24" bar work. So far I'm very happy. It does drink the gas and oil. The oiler is turned down all the way and it still went through a tank of oil befor the gas ran out. I think I need some thicker oil then the bar and chain oil I got at meijer. IMG_20120426_162536-1.jpg IMG_20120426_162551-1.jpg IMG_20120426_164329-1.jpg

Shouldn't be running out of oil that quick, especially turned down. Got any leaks pehaps? Make sure there isn't debris/sawdust in between the bar and the saw body.

I thought that when I first got the saw. I filled the oil tank up and it sat for 3 weeks and did not leak any out. But when its running it sure does put the oil out. I'm sure something is wrong with it. But if its working and I know I need to stop and add more oil then I think ill be fine for now.

With a 24" bar you shouldn't need to oil it hard enough to run the oil out before gas. Something sounds a bit wonky, but hey, if your happy and it works for you, run whut ya brung.;)

i think your right sounds like a strong oil pump. (Some one could have chage the oil pump to a bigger one for longer west coast style) Who knows but use some stihl oil and see what happens.

Well I think I may have "fixed" my oil problem. I turned the screw in and out afew times. I think it worked. I fill the oil and gas up went out and cut for a bit. Ran about half a tank of gas and a lil less then half a tank of oil.IMG_20120428_180844-1.jpg

Looks like you are having some fun with the new saw, nice job on the wood. I started running Canola Oil in the saws after talking with Smokin, cost less and I think it works better plus it's better for your health.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
Looks like you are having some fun with the new saw, nice job on the wood. I started running Canola Oil in the saws after talking with Smokin, cost less and I think it works better plus it's better for your health.

zap

The stuff you cook with?

Yes, I've been running it for bar oil over a year since Smokin told me about it. The brand name I use is Wesson Canola oil, seems to work great.

Do a search on Google about running Canola Oil in your chainsaw, you should get plenty of articles.

zap

Cheapest I seen around here so far is store brand at Walmart,$5 & change for a gallon jug.Sam's Club & Costco also have it I believe,in bigger jugs though.

love my 044 its a monster

It is a great saw. Lots of fun. But I do wish it has more power. Mine bogs down some and stops a few times on the big stuff I did. I didn't think it would stop at all with only a 24" bar. Well time for me to look into moding it. I'm like tim the tool man.lol I need more power.

It is a great saw. Lots of fun. But I do wish it has more power. Mine bogs down some and stops a few times on the big stuff I did. I didn't think it would stop at all with only a 24" bar. Well time for me to look into moding it. I'm like tim the tool man.lol I need more power.

Time for the 046/460 Jug.... mwahahahahah! ::-)

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
I did the 044 big bore on mine and was not that impressed. still a good saw but she still bogs in the big stuff with a 20"

Rob

I did the 044 big bore on mine and was not that impressed. still a good saw but she still bogs in the big stuff with a 20"

Rob
Something ain't right. A big bore 044 should pull a 20" bar/chain even if you knocked the rakers off of the chain. That should not even be a challenge for that machine.

Something ain't right. A big bore 044 should pull a 20" bar/chain even if you knocked the rakers off of the chain. That should not even be a challenge for that machine.
Big bore 044 should pull the trailer home.... ::-)

Oh it gets the job done but not like i thought it would.
Something ain't right if you can stall that machine with a 20" bar on it. Just say'in.

Something ain't right if you can stall that machine with a 20" bar on it. Just say'in.
Yeah I know as I own a small engine repair shop and love to work on saws. maybe its because i own bigger saws and just expect to 044 to run better.

460 has a different mounting pattern for the bolts, so you are better off with a 440 BB kit instead (it fits w/o having to mess with the bolt pattern). But before you go and do any of that, get a 460 dual port muffler cover and adjust the carb to run richer. The 460 DP cover fits right on a 044/440. You will get about the same power as a stock 460 with the 440 and DP 460 muffler cover. That is what I have on my 044, and it screams, runs cooler and better.

So is it ok that a non moded 044 boggs and stops some with 20"-24" of wood. It only happens if i pushed the tip down the drop the back when im rocking it back and forth.

Rob

Huh? I run up to a 32 inch bar on my 044 with a DP muffler and it does not bog, even buried... granted, that is with skip tooth chain, but still, a 20 inch? I run a 20 on my modified 310 all the time, with full comp chain. I run a 25 mostly on my 361, and a 25 or a 28 mostly on my 044.

So is it ok that a non moded 044 boggs and stops some with 20"-24" of wood. It only happens if i pushed the tip down the drop the back when im rocking it back and forth.

Stops? No... that should not happen. Either the saw needs to be tuned right for that bar (bar length will affect carb tuning), the intake or exhaust is choked up, your chain is dull, or you are cutting some rock hard dry wood.

Here is my 044 cutting some large doug fir rounds. Cut all day, no bogging, no stalling, running a 25 inch full comp RM (semi-chisel) chain.

044 cutting.jpg
Later model 044 w/large wrist pin, 3/4 wrap, light porting, 460 DP muffler cover, large dogs, large side cover, same HP as a stock 460 but lighter and more nimble. I sold my 460 after getting this baby. The 440 was the saw of choice for most loggers around here. Well, that and a 372xp Husky, which is also a ~70cc saw which I have also owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.