I guess winter is here...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I threw my first "all nighter" on tonight. A 6"x8"x18" block of silver maple. It's been seasoning for a few years now and isn't sizzling a bit.

Matt

Don't you just love winter!
During winter my yard looks as good as the neighbors!
Hot chocolate and toast by the fire!

n3pro said:
:bug: That's almost the size of my whole firebox!!! (18wx10hx12d) <drool>

I was gonna ask him what he filled the rest of the firebox on that 30 with. That chunk has to look kinda lonely in there.

A bunch of 4" rounds. :lol: It's supposed to get down into the mid 20s tonight so I want to heat the plaster up a bit for some late night gentle heating. That chunk by itself looked incredibly lonely. It doesn't even cover 1/3 of the doorway.

Matt

i can start to use the bigger splits now and leave the stove for longer burns. i put some cherry and ash in the soapstone stove and got a 6 hour burn today. that was a first for me this season. now to get some steady cold weather so i can go skiing with the boys.. pete

EatenByLimestone said:
I threw my first "all nighter" on tonight. A 6"x8"x18" block of silver maple. It's been seasoning for a few years now and isn't sizzling a bit.

Matt

Matt do you get any Lake effect snow?

zap

I have put some obscene chunks / logs of oak for over nights on our few colder nights this year. These had been seasoning for over 3 years and I couldn't split them as I don't have a splitter. They were great. Turned a 30# chunk of wood into a pint of ash!

Not really, the Mohawk doesn't really throw up much moisture.

Sometimes snow makes it in from the Great Lakes, sometimes it makes it in from the Atlantic. Oddly enough, most storms miss us. Albany, Schenectady, and Troy have enough thermal mass that our temp is a bit higher also.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:

Sometimes snow makes it in from the Great Lakes, sometimes it makes it in from the Atlantic. Oddly enough, most storms miss us. Albany, Schenectady, and Troy have enough thermal mass that our temp is a bit higher also.

Matt
GE has a training center in Schenectady and spent some time there, nice place, stayed in the hotel right next to the Proctor theatre.

EatenByLimestone said:
Albany, Schenectady, and Troy have enough thermal mass that our temp is a bit higher also.

Its the Edison electric sidewalk heaters.

Matt, we've had lots of practice with all night fires already this season.....but winter is not yet here. It will come though...

btw, this fall has been stacking up really odd and I recall several times over the years when it has been this way. That has meant more rain and ice than snow for us through the winter and has also many times brought a green Christmas. This brings to mind a couple of old sayings:

Snow for Thanksgiving, mud for Christmas.

Green Christmas means full graveyard for Easter.

EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

Siting here along the St Lawrence River I have never seen the amount of snow that we see in Saratoga. Never more than a few inches at a time here. Saratoga often gets it in feet! No lake effect here yet. probably some flurries and the area south of Watertown will get a foot or so. Snow sledders will be happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.