I hate CL posts like this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3 cord, from one tree? I think not.

I bet you're right, most exaggerate. But it's close by and looks like it was stacked well enough to be in good shape. I'd love to go get it.

Hey don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I would try for it, if it were near me!

gzecc said:
Hey don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I would try for it, if it were near me!

I hear ya, but timing is everything. I'm still working on making room for the beech that was felled last week.

gzecc said:
I'm just saying you can leave the 20 yard dump truck at home and just load it in your pickup. The guy said he wanted it gone in one load.

I got 3 full cord of well seasoned Ash for free one time. The guy said he wanted it all gone in one load. I rented a big Ryder truck and took it in one load.

LLigetfa said:
gzecc said:
I'm just saying you can leave the 20 yard dump truck at home and just load it in your pickup. The guy said he wanted it gone in one load.

I got 3 full cord of well seasoned Ash for free one time. The guy said he wanted it all gone in one load. I rented a big Ryder truck and took it in one load.

Unless I miss my guess, this is going to move pretty quickly. Probably gone before rental arrangements could be made. Also, I agree that it doesn't look like 3 cords; it was "a" tree so maybe a cord tops. Pickup should do it, maybe 2-3 trips. Unfortunately it won't be me.

going...going...gone already deleted

Archie said:
Jeez...gonna move VERY quickly!
In your area, more often than not it's gone in a half hour tops. You practically have to stake out Craig's List to get anything free. But if you 'put down your marker' real quick as the first 'bidder', usually most folks are reasonable and will give you the time agreed upon to show up and remove the wood, before defaulting to the 'runners up in waiting'. Yes, they have a waiting list.

In my one local Craigs List score, I beat out the runner up by probably a minute or just a few seconds with my phone call. If there's a number, call. Don't waste time on emails in that case.

Cluttermagnet said:
Archie said:
Jeez...gonna move VERY quickly!
In your area, more often than not it's gone in a half hour tops. You practically have to stake out Craig's List to get anything free. But if you 'put down your marker' real quick as the first 'bidder', usually most folks are reasonable and will give you the time agreed upon to show up and remove the wood, before defaulting to the 'runners up in waiting'. Yes, they have a waiting list.

In my one local Craigs List score, I beat out the runner up by probably a minute or just a few seconds with my phone call. If there's a number, call. Don't waste time on emails in that case.

Yes, agreed. Been scrounging CL locally for a number of years with pretty good success. This year (winter) seems tighter than usual though for the free stuff. Maybe things will get better as the weather warms up and people lose interest :)

You are right Archie this time of year fall thru winter stuff goes super quick but spring comes and lots of people lose interest . I generally pick up most of the stuff in the spring and summer . I even run a ad "free wood pickup / cleanup " sometimes to stir up some scrounges.

LLigetfa said:
3 cord, from one tree? I think not.

I have gotton 6 cords out on a silver maple before.

Attachments

• 6 cord silver maple.jpg
    6 cord silver maple.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 371
yeah, 3cord from one tree doesn't sound too wild.

4x4x8. if you have 24" diameter trunk that's 40 ft tall that's a cord UNSPLIT and only from the main trunk. add all the limbs and you could easily get another cord or two.

Definitely possible. The picture provided (the ad has been deleted by the poster) sure didn't look like it though. I've got a huge red oak in my yard that I'm sure would yield 3 cords, give or take.

Status
Not open for further replies.