1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

i have $1,500 to spend on a splitter - which one?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Stevebass4, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henz

Henz New Member

Loc:
    Northville, NY
    Thats awesome! good job, run it hard

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Stevebass4

Stevebass4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Franklin MA
    Ice - i got it from Lowes in Plainville ma

30 hours on it so far - no problems at all except i broke some of the bolts that hold the side "table" my fault as i wedged a split in there - plan to upgrade to the ebay work side "table"
  3. rphurley

rphurley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central/Eastern CT
    I've never tried a vertical splitter. I can certainly see the benefit when dealing with rounds that are really heavy. I imagine that you'd be hunched over all of the time. Bending over and rolling heavy rounds sounds like a nightmare to me. It seems like it would be more stress on my back, but I might be wrong.
    Rich
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I have and I didn't like it. Now there are three regulars here that have turned vertical splitting into a religion but I still think like you do. Unless you have really strong shoulders and arms as long as an ape, I just cannot see doing it vertical whilst sitting down. I have a bad back and bad shoulders but I can still do heavy lifts if I keep a straight posture. I cannot take any reaching and twisting.
  5. DaveBP

DaveBP Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Maine
    I've been using my splitter for twenty years and my Kubota tractor for 20 years as well. Wasn't until a couple years ago I realized that bucket loader made an excellent log lift. Now I don't have to lift heavy rounds, I have a work table for the big half-splits, and I can work in my preferred position... standing up straight. Get close to 60 years old and you start to think with your head, not your muscles.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.