I have a headache

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I've just spent the last hour chain shopping, trying to keep Sthil's, Husqvarna's, Oregon's, and Woodland Pro's numbers straight, trying to figure out which one's are chisel, semi chisel and safety and not forgetting which size chain I take has left me with a headache. Plus, trying to decide if I should drop down to a 16" bar. It can't be this hard!

Make it simple, get 4 chains. 2 Stihl RSC (Yellow color code and NO #3 at the end of the number) and 2 Stihl RM (also Yellow color code and no #3). The RM is semi chisel and will stay sharp longer in dirty wood. The RSC is full chisel and flies through hardwood. I also like the .325 over the 3/8 chain, seems to cut faster on the smaller saws (make sure to match with what your saw is currently running or you may need a new sprocket)

I like 16" bars on 50cc saws (assuming this bar is going on your 350). I use a 16" on my 260 and a 20" on the 041. I use the 260 for all wood up to the length of the bar.

I have a MS310 went from 20 3/8 to 16 .325 huge differants I would not go back. I got the cheap combo's
from Bailieys. Works greart.

wendell said:
I've just spent the last hour chain shopping, trying to keep Sthil's, Husqvarna's, Oregon's, and Woodland Pro's numbers straight, trying to figure out which one's are chisel, semi chisel and safety and not forgetting which size chain I take has left me with a headache. Plus, trying to decide if I should drop down to a 16" bar. It can't be this hard!

1) take your saw to a Stihl dealer (if you want a Stihl chain)

2) walk into the dealership with your saw

3) set your saw on the counter

4) when the guy behind the desk says, "how can I help you?"

5) you say, "I need a (say what style of chain you want) for this saw."

6) stand there another few minutes and pretty soon he'll have that exact chain in his hand

7) pay the man

8) walk out of dealership with your saw and your new chain(s)

Bigg_Redd said:
1) take your saw to a Stihl dealer (if you want a Stihl chain)
I left the saw at home and just took my old bar and chain with me. The guy screwed up though and gave me chains that were two links too long and I had to take them back and have him spin off a couple of links.

This was supposed to be a tongue in cheek post pointing out how ridiculous the way companies identify their chains, prompted by stopping at a local dealer to get a chain on Saturday. By the time I got there, all that was open was that parts department and ended up with the chain they "sell the most of". Ended up with a Husky H23 which is what I was looking for.

I guess the point of it all was supposed to be that everyone talks of chisel, semi-chisel, etc. but that is not what the term the manufacturers use to label their chain. It could be easier.

wendell said:
This was supposed to be a tongue in cheek post pointing out how ridiculous the way companies identify their chains, prompted by stopping at a local dealer to get a chain on Saturday. By the time I got there, all that was open was that parts department and ended up with the chain they "sell the most of". Ended up with a Husky H23 which is what I was looking for.

I guess the point of it all was supposed to be that everyone talks of chisel, semi-chisel, etc. but that is not what the term the manufacturers use to label their chain. It could be easier.

Completely missed that part.

Status
Not open for further replies.