I have a solution for burning not exactly dry wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And smoke the inside of your MW cavity with a burn spot, rendering it pretty useless.

Think Aurora Borealis.

Good luck getting that smell out of the kitchen. Don’t ask how I know this…

You didn't, did you?

:lol:

I can tell you that having a fairly large indoor supply does come in handy as it relates to dryness. We have about a .2 cord indoor supply in our vacation home that could be sitting in 30-40% humidity for months at a time. I'll tell you that lighting a fire with this stuff couldn't be easier. :) (BTW, bugs have never been a problem)

IMG_0751.jpg

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
And smoke the inside of your MW cavity with a burn spot, rendering it pretty useless.

Think Aurora Borealis.

Good luck getting that smell out of the kitchen. Don’t ask how I know this…

You didn't, did you?

:lol:

Oh, I did. The smell went away eventually, and the microwave survived. The wife was not amused, however.

I wasn't trying to dry wood for burning, I wanted to check the moisture content of a piece and didn't feel like waiting for hours by using the oven. I have a moisture meter now.

The solution is very simple---just burn dry wood. Otherwise, wait till next year and bite the bullet and pay for the other heat. You aren`t doing yourself any favours by trying to burn less-than-ready-wood. Specially with one of the more demanding epa certified wood stoves or inserts.

sonnyinbc said:
The solution is very simple---just burn dry wood. Otherwise, wait till next year and bite the bullet and pay for the other heat. You aren`t doing yourself any favours by trying to burn less-than-ready-wood. Specially with one of the more demanding epa certified wood stoves or inserts.

i would rather burn "less than ready wood" and go through all the hassle of rotating and constantly tending a fire than pay the oil man.

Sometimes you've got to work with what you've got. But do expect to be paying for frequent visits from the chimneysweep and getting less heat.

Catskill said:
...in our vacation home...

Show off! Jeez, if that were my "vacation home", I'd never go home from vacation. That's lovely! Rick

EDIT: Needs at least an insert, though...get busy.

DiscoInferno said:
Redox said:
mainemxz said:
I just load up the microwave and set it on high for 5 minutes. Dries it right out! Can also use a hair dryer, while time comsuming and boring it does push the moisure out.

Gonna hafta try the microwave idea one day. That would actually work really well if you had a big microwave...

Chris

It can work a little too well. If the wood isn't rotating (and perhaps even if it is) you can get a hotspot that bursts into smoke/flame well before the wood is dry. Good luck getting that smell out of the kitchen. Don't ask how I know this... :red:

Was actually joking, should have known someone out there has tried it.

fossil said:
Catskill said:
...in our vacation home...

Show off! Jeez, if that were my "vacation home", I'd never go home from vacation. That's lovely! Rick

EDIT: Needs at least an insert, though...get busy.

If i were showing off Rick I'd show you where I'm at NOW. :)

Seriously, If we ever lived there full time I rip out the Budarus oil fired boiler and go with some sort of wood fired boiler. The whole house is radiant and sitting on a concrete slab and a system like that would fit the bill. That place is also sitting on 65 acres so one would only need to walk out the front door for fuel.

Rick was typing the post from "The Guest House", aka the "Servent's Quarters". :coolsmirk:

Some go up and some go down, but the majority of us just hang on by our by our fingernails and live day to day(some people live night to night). I just got a Phd from M.I.T., but loan repayments and child support and alimony have put me in the poor house. The only thing I have to show for it is a sheepskin on the wall,....and oh yeah...My new L.L.Bean credit card has initals after my name. I used to have numbers after my name, if you get my drift....

BrotherBart said:
smokinj said:
Tfin said:
I hang sunlamps over my wood rack in the basement, helps dry them out while building up a good base tan. ;-)
Got to like that idea Its a 2fer

Don't use too many of those lamps. Around here they catch urban pot growers by flying over with thermal imaging equipment. A friend bought a nice little house cheap that had been seized by the DEA. And he made a few bucks selling the fifty florescent fixtures from the basement that had grow light tubes in them.

We know what you use those sunlamps for Todd. Just be careful of F.L.I.R.

JPapiPE said:
Some go up and some go down, but the majority of us just hang on by our by our fingernails and live day to day(some people live night to night). I just got a Phd from M.I.T., but loan repayments and child support and alimony have put me in the poor house. The only thing I have to show for it is a sheepskin on the wall,....and oh yeah...My new L.L.Bean credit card has initals after my name. I used to have numbers after my name, if you get my drift...Prison numbers.

so how long were you in prison for? LOL

JPapiPE said:
JPapiPE said:
2 years in Federal Prison .....The charge was war crimes...but I was only following orders from the top brass...unwritten of coarse....I could have walked if I named some certain names...but a soldier/ marine doesn't rat out superior officers....

i aplologize. i thought you were joking around. i see now that is no joke. unfortunately the UCMJ does not give anyone a break.. OK now back to the topic which i think i already respinded too. burn what you got the best way you can!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.