1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I have a stove that can burn green pine and not get creosoted! Check it out!!

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by mlbeardsley, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pybyr

pybyr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adamant, VT 05640
    Just so I am clear, I think that masonry heaters are an amazing technology- relatively low tech to build, relatively simple to run, quite efficient, and need no pumps, electricity, or complex controls- I just don't see that they necessarily make a revolutionarily different boiler (or even an optimal boiler).

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan

Exactly. If you're going to use water as the heat transfer medium, why not just heat it directly and install enough storage for the parameters of the job?
  3. pybyr

pybyr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adamant, VT 05640
    At risk of playing devil's advocate against myself, I _can_ envision situations in which a hybrid masonry heater/ boiler might make sense- such as when the masonry heater part of the unit is located in a rather large relatively open space/ spaces (so that it can spread its heat easily and directly by unrestricted radiation and convection) but you also want to be able to send heat to a different area that would not be effectively warmed directly by the masonry heater. Seems like you lose the stone-simple near-failproof characteristics of the masonry heater in the process though, without fully gaining the ability that a high efficiency boiler + well insulated water storage yields of bring able to efficiently"bank" large quantities of heat for release only when or at the rate that is desired. Different strokes for different folks.
    woodsmaster likes this.
  4. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    Water has a specific heat of 1 (one). You'd think you can't go lower than that, BUT, all other materials with the exception of phase change materials, ie, eutectic salts are lower in specific heat than water.
    Water is truly a unique material. It expands when it's heated and it expands when it freezes. And it can be turned in to ice cubes to cool my scotch. We're lucky to have it!
  5. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    If the boiler tubes are burried in the masonry the heat needs to be transferred to the concrete and then to the copper to the water. If you have a bucket of water and a concrete block of equal size heated to the same temperature with a copper tube running through each, which will heat the flow through the copper faster. I don't understand how you can take the heat off fast enough while firing at 500,000 btus. Concrete is not a good transfer medium.
    I do have to say though that Heiss beat me to my lifelong dream. They figured out how to burn water.
  6. mlbeardsley

mlbeardsley New Member

Im sure water is more dense but it cant heat up past 212 without turning to a gas. You heat up this refractory to a 1000 degree and let all that copper in the refractory absorb it Am i wrong?.
  7. mlbeardsley

mlbeardsley New Member

If they didn't work then they wouldn't be still in business. My heater works great and only use 7or 8 cord usually so obviously they work great.
  8. chuckie5fingers

chuckie5fingers Member

Loc:
    60 S. of Chicago
    Do you guy think this could be....................

POOK??!!??!!
  9. chuckie5fingers

chuckie5fingers Member

Loc:
    60 S. of Chicago
    7-8 cords is 3-4 full years for me burning 24/7 heating 1800 sq. ft.

chuck
  10. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Does this thread have anywhere constructive to go from here?

If so, show it fast.
  11. salecker

salecker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Canada
    I used 7-8 cords....
    but it was spruce...
    and i'm in the Yukon,we get 40 below in the winter.
  12. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Constructive? Not sure on that but I think the entertainment value has merit.
    fahmahbob likes this.
  13. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I can appreciate that
  14. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    Simply put.......Water is the heat transfer medium in any boiler be it a normal unit or the one in question here.

The difference in a regular boiler and this one is that of the medium used for storage.

When you start talking about those two factors, storage and transfer, you have to look at a little item called specific heat.
    Specific heat refers to how much heat needs to be applied to a substance to raise the temperature a specific amount, usually 1 degree and is sometimes expressed in btu/lb or again as Kj/Kg. The higher the specific heat of a substance the more heat it will "hold". If you look at the links for specific heat-fluids and solids you can see what a difference there is between water and almost any other commonly encountered substance either fluid or solid. Thus a given amount of water will both hold and/or transfer far more heat than about anything.

The advantage that cementous substances hold over water is that they will "operate" under a wide range of temperatures. Because of their low specific heat value they are also good insulators which is why firebrick is used as protection in certain areas of a boiler or to focus heat in a given place. In short you can get it hot enough to avoid condensation/creosote whereas a surface backed by water will always be below the dew point of the flue gas and it is left up to the designer of the firebox/heat exchanger to engineer a way around that problem.......which can and has been done.
    Obviously the designer of the Heiss chose to avoid the creosote issue entirely by keeping all the surfaces in the boiler above the dewpoint of the flue gas. Not a bad thing in and of itself but again, cementous products have a relatively low specific heat function so the have to be driven to extreme temperatures in order to store the same amount of heat as a given volume of water................shiza!....... I shouldn't try to elucidate at this late hour of the evening.......I will simply leave it at that with the links to info below for your weekend reading pleasure.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/heat-work-energy-d_292.html

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-fluids-d_151.html

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-solids-d_154.html

Below is a nifty little calculator you can download that will convert a unit of about anything to anything else.....included to help sort out life's vexing problems such as converting pennyweight to stones, gigabytes to nibbles, parsecs to furlongs, ergs to horsepower and the heat of the beat of the meat.........nah...........I just made that up.... ;)

http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/
    pen likes this.
  15. ewdudley

ewdudley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cayuga County NY

No reason to speculate, just assume the maximum, calculate deltaT from that, and see what kind of crazy number we get.

8 ft / sec is within normal limits, noisy perhaps, but quite doable.

You have: (500000 btu/hr)/(pi*(1.0 inch/2.0)^2)/(8ft/sec)*(((1.0/8.33)degF gal)/btu)
    You want: degF

So 51 degF deltaT at 8 ft per second flow through a 1 inch line? Pushing it perhaps, but not a bogus claim really.
  16. 2.beans

2.beans Minister of Fire

Loc:
    new hampshire
    why are catergorizing the seton boiler to this. my seton operates just like i was told it would. most of the problems with seton style boilers is in correct use incorrect install or sizing.
  17. mlbeardsley

mlbeardsley New Member

see their gasifier burnig saw dust!
  18. McKraut

McKraut Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    Water can be heated above 212 degrees as long a it is under pressure. If it is released to the open atmosphere, it will immediately turn to steam (look for a chart for the triple point for water for more info). Also, as previoulsy stated, high-temperature electrolysis (splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen) is a process that is usually done in conjunction with nuclear power.
    I visited the links and I'm still not impressed with their products.

Just my 2 cents....
  19. My Oslo heats my home

My Oslo heats my home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore, MA
    Interesting read to say the least. That fellow is hell bent on making his product known.
  20. jpgarnva

jpgarnva New Member

Loc:
    Central VA
    Bck to original title. We have a stove also that will burn green pine, and any other thing as a matter of fact. We mainly use it on those frigid days at the jobsite. A 55 gallon drum with holes around the perimeter at the bottom for intake air. No chimney, no cresote issues. When you get cold, walk over and warm yourself. pretty much the same principle as his unit.
  21. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Wow... This just so happened to pop up on my Local CL. (Burns anything! !!) Talk about pushing product
    Dont want to post a Link. But under Toledo Ohio Craiglist, (I searched Wood pellets and it came up)

Burning green pine is not something to be proud of. Bad burning habits are not taught here. Shouldn't even be thought of.
    My Oslo heats my home likes this.
  22. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.