I have an idea but would it work??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oknev

Jan 21, 2011
TX
We have a 2 story home on piers. When the home was moved they had to remove the back to back brick fireplaces. I had an idea to heat both rooms without adding 2 fireplaces. We would be putting the wood stove in the den but to get heat into the other room do you think we could use some type of sheet metal behind the stove with holes in it? We are going to just have a fake fireplace on the other side. Then heat would travel to the other parts of the house or not? NOt sure this would work so need your expert advise!!
Thanks,
Karen

Hi Karen,
I have an idea also, but we really need a plan view of your floorplan. Can you post a diagram? Thanks, JB

I would consider a stove that looks pretty nice from the back and not closing off the spaces. Maybe something like a Hearthstone Mansfield would work, depending on the size of the place.

I am not sure how to post a diagram but can email pictures of both rooms and the opening to you if you send your email.
I appreciate your advice!
Karen

Only reason I didn't want to keep it open seeing the back is that would be the first thing you see when you come in the front door.

Thanks,
Karen

Everyone has their own idea of what looks good, but I'd rather look at the back of a Mansfield than a fake fireplace. They really look nice from all sides--the craftspeople sign their stoves when they finish, as if to say, `this is art'. I think is at least fine design. Plus you'd get great heat from the stove. I love the idea of coming in from the cold and being able to enjoy the warmth of a stove as I took off coat, boots, etc.--you could even have a mitten tree next to it, or throw wet gloves on the hearth to toast. If I could have set up my stove to enjoy from all four sides, I would.

Here's a link: http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=2#stove_information

oknev said:
Only reason I didn't want to keep it open seeing the back is that would be the first thing you see when you come in the front door.

Thanks,
Karen

How about flipping your design, front of Mansfield (awesome, gorgeous stove) facing front door, back facing other room.

+1 on the Hearthstone idea--take a look at them, and see if you wouldn't be happy having one in full view. And it would be an excellent way to circulate heat.

Long time ago I saw a post here on that same idea and it was done, the rough cut version...I don't how it worked out. If it's something you want that would serve your needs yeah...I think it's a good idea.

Thanks everyone! I love all the advise. We have seen the Mansfield and love it! However, unless they go on sale half off during spring or something I don't think it is in the budget.
I have pictures of both rooms and the opening but they are on my phone. NOt sure how to get them on this site yet. I will read directions and see if there is a way to do it.
Again, I love this site and am happy to have found you all!
Karen

We are shooting in the dark so to speak without some idea of what you are seeing. There may be issues and solutions that need to be seen in context of the house. To balance out the equation, add up the costs of the proposed alternative with a wall, fake fireplace and metal cover.

Here are the first two shots. One of the previous location of the back to back fireplaces. And the other of the Livingroom.

Is the fireplace location shot from the entrance door, looking in the building? Was there originally a fireplace facing the entrance here?

Attachments

• I have an idea but would it work??
    oknev-stove-location.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 254
    oknev-LR.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 246
    LR-side.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 179
    Den-side.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 210
YEs, that side is facing the front door. The door is actually close to me where I am standing. The other room is the den which is a much bigger room. To the left of this opening is the formal dining room. ON the other side of the opening to the left is open kitchen. To the right of both openings is 2 bedrooms. I hope I have better pictures to send you soon!

Does this make sense?
Karen

These pics do help. Where is the living room in relationship to these other rooms?

So, if I understand, the plan is to have the stove facing in toward the den, correct? If so, the more open the floorplan, often the better the heat circulation is. If you want to work with this idea, but formalize it by hiding the back of the stove, one idea might be I to make a ventilated ponywall, about 4-5ft tall that hides the back of the stove, but allows ventilation and light to flow above it. This could be topped with a wide cap that matched the formal trim. Great place for a plant or two. You could use perforated or expanded metal behind the stove, or just leave the wall solid and let it ventilate over the top of it. You would still see the stove pipe, but that would be a clean line.

We could really use a floorplan here. The images sort of make sense, but I still have no sense of where the livingroom is in relation to the other rooms.

The living room is the first picture looking into den. The second picture is from the living room. The third picture is actually upside down but from the den side looking into living room and the 4th one is as well. You do enter the front of the house into the living room.

I can't quite picture having the bottom of the fireplace closed with the sheet metal with the top open? Is there any pictures that might show this?

I appreciate all the expertise!!
Thanks,
Karen

Another option would be to fill in the whole space with a wall, and put the stove on the "den" side of the wall.
You could then put vents in the wall on both the top, and bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.