I have decided on Regency CI2600 / Hampton HI400 - install advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
I am having the insert installed by a dealer. But, what things should I make sure of? I am getting a 35 foot liner kit. Do I need to make sure it is insulated? If so, why? Do, I need to insist on anything else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have finally found someone who will install this and I just want to help insure it will go in correctly. Thanks. BTW, everyone still happy with theirs? Thanks.

35' of liner is going to have a strong draft. I would call Regency support and ask them if they have tested the fix for this insert with this length liner and whether they approve.

35' of liner is going to have a strong draft. I would call Regency support and ask them if they have tested the fix for this insert with this length liner and whether they approve.
I have not been able to find a telephone number for their customer support. Do you have link or know the number? I had found one, but it did not work.

Was that 604-946-5155? There is a customer service inquiry form on their website. Maybe try that too?

Was that 604-946-5155? There is a customer service inquiry form on their website. Maybe try that too?
OK, that number works, thanks, and I just got off the phone with them. The guy I spoke with says a 25 foot or 35 foot liner kit is fine. However, he was unaware of any problems or modifications ever made to this stove. I tried to find out how they were performing since the initial problems with the first run, but he had no knowledge of any issues. That is mildly concerning to me since it appears there were plenty of unhappy people, especially since I had a couple of dealers who would not even install the stove for me because of its history.

OK, that number works, thanks, and I just got off the phone with them. The guy I spoke with says a 25 foot or 35 foot liner kit is fine. However, he was unaware of any problems or modifications ever made to this stove. I tried to find out how they were performing since the initial problems with the first run, but he had no knowledge of any issues. That is mildly concerning to me since it appears there were plenty of unhappy people, especially since I had a couple of dealers who would not even install the stove for me because of its history.

Is it important to have a block off plate made for the flue opening? If so, I imagine I have to ask the installer to make one of these, correct. Or is this the standard install? Also, I asked about an insulated liner and one installer told me it was a waste of money and that I may not even be able to fit it. Thoughts?

Is it important to have a block off plate made for the flue opening? If so, I imagine I have to ask the installer to make one of these, correct. Or is this the standard install? Also, I asked about an insulated liner and one installer told me it was a waste of money and that I may not even be able to fit it. Thoughts?
I'm only in my second season of wood burning after having a Hampton HI300 installed last September, so I'm still very new to all of this. However, my Hampton dealer gave me the same nonsense that an insulated liner was not needed. The did offer to put "pour" in insulation down around the liner. but I received good advice from the pro's on this site and insisted on an ovalized pre-insulated liner because of the tight fit. I was also advised on this site to get a block off plate installed at the time of install for much more efficient heating since I have a 28ft exterior masonry chimney. The dealer emphatically said it was not needed and I caved and went without one all last year. However, throughout the frigid winter months last season when temps got into the 20's and below I had a hard time keeping the insert burning at cruising temps (450 to 550 degrees) and felt that I was probably losing a lot of heat up 28ft of freezing masonry and the unit was just not burning as efficiently as it could. So this past September I called the dealer in insisted the install a block off plate (at my expense)...and they agreed. I'm looking forward to a much more efficient wood burning season this year and would absolutely take the advice of all the very experienced staff moderators and chimney pro's who post on this site daily...they will help you get the install done correctly the first time. Also, make sure you get seasoned wood like yesterday....no wood dealer is going to provide you with truly seasoned wood no matter what they say...especially this time of year. I had two cords delivered right at the time of install with the dealer reassuring me it was all dry as a bone seasoned. Then when I stacked it and checked the splits with a moisture meter I realized I was screwed until I could use it this season...thus a full season of buying the expensive kiln dried supermarket crap! That's my install tale of woe from last year...so take head and listen to the folks on this great website!

Reactions: edge-of-the-woods
I'm only in my second season of wood burning after having a Hampton HI300 installed last September, so I'm still very new to all of this. However, my Hampton dealer gave me the same nonsense that an insulated liner was not needed. The did offer to put "pour" in insulation down around the liner. but I received good advice from the pro's on this site and insisted on an ovalized pre-insulated liner because of the tight fit. I was also advised on this site to get a block off plate installed at the time of install for much more efficient heating since I have a 28ft exterior masonry chimney. The dealer emphatically said it was not needed and I caved and went without one all last year. However, throughout the frigid winter months last season when temps got into the 20's and below I had a hard time keeping the insert burning at cruising temps (450 to 550 degrees) and felt that I was probably losing a lot of heat up 28ft of freezing masonry and the unit was just not burning as efficiently as it could. So this past September I called the dealer in insisted the install a block off plate (at my expense)...and they agreed. I'm looking forward to a much more efficient wood burning season this year and would absolutely take the advice of all the very experienced staff moderators and chimney pro's who post on this site daily...they will help you get the install done correctly the first time. Also, make sure you get seasoned wood like yesterday....no wood dealer is going to provide you with truly seasoned wood no matter what they say...especially this time of year. I had two cords delivered right at the time of install with the dealer reassuring me it was all dry as a bone seasoned. Then when I stacked it and checked the splits with a moisture meter I realized I was screwed until I could use it this season...thus a full season of buying the expensive kiln dried supermarket crap! That's my install tale of woe from last year...so take head and listen to the folks on this great website!

Great post. I will push for the block off plate especially. I have been told that it will be very tight to get an insulated liner in there. One installer told me it was a total waste of money and that the 6 inch liner would then be insulated and then contained in another 7 inch liner. Thereby, too thick. Has anybody else gotten this story?

Last edited:
So this past September I called the dealer in insisted the install a block off plate (at my expense)...and they agreed. I'm looking forward to a much more efficient wood burning season this year and would absolutely take the advice of all the very experienced staff moderators and chimney pro's who post on this site daily...they will help you get the install done correctly the first time.

JSCS,

Let us know how that block off plate works once the temp dips.

JSCS,

Let us know how that block off plate works once the temp dips.

Yeah I would love to know as well. I had the same situation with my Regency CI2600. Built my own block-off plate for it, but the difference hasn't been tremendous.

During shoulder season burning and in milder winters the difference won't be that noticeable. It's when the temps drop and you need all the heat the insert can produce that the difference becomes most apparent. If there is room, insulating the back wall of the fireplace can also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.