1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

i have to much wood

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by RoosterBoy, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoosterBoy

RoosterBoy New Member

Loc:
    CT
    hay guys i have 12 cords of log length firewood in the backyard and 8 cords all ready split and stacked. it took me a month to cut spit and stack.

i was looking and getting a new saw that is not as heavy as the ones i got can someone recommend a good saw that's strong and will last but dose not weigh allot maybe a 16 inch bar should do the trick

it just take me long with a heavy saw because i have to take brakes because my back. i cut logs on the ground

thanks
    Jason

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. martel

martel Member

since you are working at home you may want to consider a nice electric saw. Elk has posted that this is what he does for most of his wood. This is quite attractive to me: no mess, light weight, and your neighbors will thank you for the quieter piece of machinary.
  3. brian_in_idaho

brian_in_idaho New Member

Loc:
    Jewel Lake (Sagle), Idaho
    If you cut logs on (or near) the ground, a 20 inch or even 24 inch bar is nice, you don't have to bend over quite as much. I have a Stihl 026 with a 20 that has been great, it's got enough power for felling and bucking logs up to around 2 foot dia (with some creative positioning with only a 20 inch bar), yet is light enough to handle easily and work well for limbing and brush clearing as well. It needs to be kept sharp and tuned, it makes decent power and pulls lots of RPMs to cut quickly, it doens't have the torque of the bigger saws, but when used properly will keep up with many. I've had it for 12 years, never had any trouble with it. I think the new model is the MS260, or something like that.

How much wood will you typically be cutting in a year, and do you often need to cut "in the field" as opposed to on your own property? And how much acerage do you own and maintain, and what is the "heavy" saw you own now? For me, an electric isn't a good fit since I often need to cut some distance from the homesite, perhaps it would work for you. I suspect most electric saws are pretty lightly built and wouldn't provide a long life if you are cutting "heating" quantities of wood, I suspect they are geared to the suburban homeowner that might want to trim a couple of limbs a year, though I may well be wrong on this.

One more question, what diameter are the logs in that 12 cord deck you have?

Bri
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  5. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.