1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

i just got punked...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by trailblaze, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trailblaze

trailblaze New Member

Loc:
    South West PA
    well it's one of them things in life where all you can do is learn and not make the mistake again

found a guy selling a cord delivered for 150... so i get one...

it comes... it's a cord... but it's 70% PUNK wood...

most of the wood is rotted on the outside... it'll burn but it'll burn fast... and most likely smokey...

guess i'll mix it up with some of my good stuff...

i said it was shitty wood and he knocked 20 bucks off... so for 130 i got a crappy cord of wood... i would have said just take it and leave, i don't want it... but he drove about 40-50 mins to get to me...

lesson:

cheap things are cheap for a reason...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kjklosek

kjklosek New Member

Loc:
    Earlysville,VA
    Did you make him an offer?

I would have offered him $50 since 2/3 of it was crap.

All he could do was to take it with him.

J.P.
  3. RedRanger

RedRanger New Member

Loc:
    British Columbia
    I find the same type of thing in these parts. The guys that are always trying to undercut the usual suppliers will bring you a lot of punk in their load-not 70% though. Usually, about 20% is punky. Only buy from them one time :roll:
  4. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Well trailblaze you live and learn...btw dried punky wood doesn't smoke. I've been burning dried punky wood for years and find it an OK burn for shoulder season and for those days when your inside all day and it's no sweat to tend the fire all the time. Once dry you have to keep it covered cause unlike good wood exposed to the elements punky wood will soak up some rain.

Sure you'd be crazy to buy punky wood but it's great for camp fires and if you're managing a wood lot and there's a big old punky tree laying on the ground in your way it's an easy take to harvest and keep the woods open to wheeled vehicle traffic.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.