i just got punked...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
well it's one of them things in life where all you can do is learn and not make the mistake again

found a guy selling a cord delivered for 150... so i get one...

it comes... it's a cord... but it's 70% PUNK wood...

most of the wood is rotted on the outside... it'll burn but it'll burn fast... and most likely smokey...

guess i'll mix it up with some of my good stuff...

i said it was chitty wood and he knocked 20 bucks off... so for 130 i got a crappy cord of wood... i would have said just take it and leave, i don't want it... but he drove about 40-50 mins to get to me...

lesson:

cheap things are cheap for a reason...

I find the same type of thing in these parts. The guys that are always trying to undercut the usual suppliers will bring you a lot of punk in their load-not 70% though. Usually, about 20% is punky. Only buy from them one time :roll:

Well trailblaze you live and learn...btw dried punky wood doesn't smoke. I've been burning dried punky wood for years and find it an OK burn for shoulder season and for those days when your inside all day and it's no sweat to tend the fire all the time. Once dry you have to keep it covered cause unlike good wood exposed to the elements punky wood will soak up some rain.

Sure you'd be crazy to buy punky wood but it's great for camp fires and if you're managing a wood lot and there's a big old punky tree laying on the ground in your way it's an easy take to harvest and keep the woods open to wheeled vehicle traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.