1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I lied...there are some pretty straight Cherry Trees in CT

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by WOODBUTCHER, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WOODBUTCHER

WOODBUTCHER Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pomfret, CT
    Over the last 7 years living here in CT, I've never split Cherry that was this sraight before....hardly any twist to it at all.
    I was able to make some nice center cuts and half rounds (stacks really good.) This will be enjoyable to burn come winter 2010/2011.

WoodButcher

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    milled one at my place last year for a friend it was 36 ft before the frist branch as stright as could be
  3. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    That looks like what I call choke cherry. Grows on the edge of farmer fields usually pretty straight with a little lean to the open field. I cut 2 of them that were in the way and they were dry in 2 months!
  4. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    That is Black Cherry, the largest cherry and the one with the hardest wood. We have lots of them here, and I have split many that had fairly straight grain and split really nicely. It is a nice wood to process, in my experience. Choke Cherry and similar cherries like fire cherry and the cherry grown for fruit don't seem to have wood quite like a black cherry, plus they don't seem to split as well, perhaps because the ones I have tried to split had lots of branches. Black Cherries will grow in the open, along fences, etc., and there they are as branchy as other cherries, but they also grow in the woods where they become tall and straight.
  5. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    I have alot pf black cherry on my property. I cut a few down for this year. All of mine are straight as an arrow, 14-18" in diameter and 30-50 feet tall.

Nothing better that that feeling of picking up a nice 20" long round of black cherry and popping it in half on the first strike.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.