1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I May Be In The Market For A New Saw

Post in 'The Gear' started by Battenkiller, Jun 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Needshave

Needshave Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    The manual for the 6401 says not to use fuel containing alcohol. As far as I'm aware all the gas stations around here contain ethanol. Knowing my state I bet they have to add it. The gallon I picked up for the saw is 10% ethanol. Should I be concerned?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. computeruser

computeruser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Lansing, MI

If all you can buy is 93-94 octane with 10% ethanol, then that's what you're going to have to use. 2-stroke equipment doesn't want ethanol in any percentage, and does not benefit from its presence. But most modern saws can run 10% ethanol blended gasoline and be OK if you use the mix up quickly - 3-4 weeks, absolute max - and accept that your rubber parts (fuel line, carb innards, etc.) won't last as long as they would with real gasoline. Use good oil, and keep your saw tuned correctly.

If you have a source for ethanol-free gas, use that instead. Some folks opt to use 100LL from the airport, or buy something like VPRacing's SEF94 ethanol-free stuff. I've never had a problem with 93-94 pump gas where there was no "10% Ethanol" sticker on the pump; I'm presuming there isn't ethanol in that fuel, but can't say for sure.
  3. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    And use a stabilizer or a 2-stroke oil with stabilizer in it as well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.