I may have that Greenfield corn stove figured out....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
Some of you may remember that I bought a used (2007 model) St Croix Greenfield corn stove a few months ago...I guess it was more than a few months ago by now.

Anywho... it had been a real PITA trying to get the darn thing working worth a darn on pellets... always had a poor burn with lots of soot and even some creosote.

Well, after a few tips here and a long talk with the girl in the parts dept. at my dealer, I think I finally have it working as good as it will ever get. The PO suggested it needed a new door gasket...it was kinda chewed up. And the ash pan gasket was suspect. I finally replaced both but the stove door seemed loose and I couldn't adjust the latch enough to get it tight.

I went back to the dealer and told her that I needed a larger door gasket... the guy who sold me the original gasket told me it needed a 3/8" diameter seal. SHE told me it was supposed to be a 7/8"...big difference! So today I reinstalled the door with the fresh 7/8" gasket. And I switched the puny pellet pot back to the corn pot. It took about 20 minutes but I finally seem to have a good load of hot embers in the bottom of the pot and I finally cranked it up to #5 after the stove got good and warm.

Now I'm taking a break and hope to see the shop temp come up some so I can do a little work out there. I have a pick-up with "no brakes" and a hot rod project to move over to the "warm side" of my shop... film at eleven.

Good news. I hope it continues working good for you.

Got the ESES early buy warning email today.

imacman said:
We're waiting with bated breath..........

That's "baited" breath.... what do you do for a living? hahhahahhaha

smoke this said:

I'm going to scan that and post some of it.... some big changes coming.

krooser said:
smoke this said:

I only received an email regarding dates. No prices or info.

Can you spill the beans of the big changes?

krooser said:
imacman said:
We're waiting with bated breath..........

That's "baited" breath.... what do you do for a living? hahhahahhaha

Drive cars.

Oh. BTW....this is from the retired teacher I used to be:

"Bated" is no longer commonly used, causing people to believe the expression to be "with baited breath". This common misspelling leads to confusion and strange imagery.' www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/5/messages/14.html

Strange imagery indeed...... Krooser after a long Wisconsin winter :lol:

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpg
    Unknown-1.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 273
And Krooser is SO happy with the performance of the corn stove after his "modifications", and it gets SO hot, he decides to make dinner using the stove. We fast forward to about an hour later and........

"hey...... where the he** did my chicken go????

Attachments

• bar-pics-002.jpg
    bar-pics-002.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 456
As a matter of fact I DID have chicken tonite... from the deli. I'd post pix but you know how good I am at THAT...

smoke this said:
krooser said:
smoke this said:

I only received an email regarding dates. No prices or info.

Can you spill the beans of the big changes?

Western Elites next season will be ponderosa pine (from Heartland) NOT Doug Fir... There will be a new Uncle Jed's Doug Fir... estimated price $300/ton. I may have to find the $$$ to buy more of this years Western Elites...at $253 (?)....

Don't be taking all my Heartland pellets now. I got a ton and a half of them so far this year and I like them, so leave me some.

ByCo said:
Don't be taking all my Heartland pellets now. I got a ton and a half of them so far this year and I like them, so leave me some.

I bought some my first two seasons around '06/'07...worked good.

Well it's been a week now... the stove has run some even while I've been on the road.

It been doing good... nice lively flame and even the Marth softwoods have been OK to burn even if a little ashy. I tossed in some Doug Fir pellets yesterday after I gave the stove a 30 second cleaning... quite a bit less ash which I expected.

One thing I found was this stove, with the corn pot installed, needs a lot of pellets to to start and keep a good bed of coals going. I use maybe 1/2 of a handful to get my other St Croix stove going but I use about two cups of pellets, with lots of gel starter, to get this one going. Once the fire is established, and there's a good bed of coals, it just keeps cranking out the heat. The corn pot is about 4X larger than the pellet pot made for this stove...

Status
Not open for further replies.