I need a chimney brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought mine at Home Depot. Fiberglass rods with a 6 inch round steel brush. I've seen them at our local Ace Hardware, and we sell them at work too (agricultural supply store).

Sorry to pee on the parade but how come nobody says 'how about a search' once in a while. A quick advanced search of just titles for brush yielded too much info....

I really am a nice guy but c'mon...

I was told to use a poly brush because the metal brushes would scratch the lining of my chimney and create places for creosote to build up.

beagler, there are folks who claim you do not need a poly brush for a SS chimney, but I've talked with more than one who sell chimneys and they say that although you can use a wire brush, the chimney won't last as long. In short, about 15-20 years maximum if using steel vs. using a poly, they've never yet had to replace a SS chimney. So for less than $20, it is worth it to me to buy the poly.

I'd suggest going to wherever they sell SS chimneys if you can't find one locally or do a search on the Internet.

beagler,

In the past, I've used a flat wire steel brush with fiberglass rods. When it's down 20 ft. in my rigid liner, it's hard to snap it back to pull it up. The nice thing about it is, once down and once up and you're done. I've bought a poly brush to try out this year.

Jim

Backwoods Savage said:
beagler, there are folks who claim you do not need a poly brush for a SS chimney, but I've talked with more than one who sell chimneys and they say that although you can use a wire brush, the chimney won't last as long. In short, about 15-20 years maximum if using steel vs. using a poly, they've never yet had to replace a SS chimney. So for less than $20, it is worth it to me to buy the poly.

I'd suggest going to wherever they sell SS chimneys if you can't find one locally or do a search on the Internet.

Thats a load of BS.
To each their own.
I'll let you know in 20 years.

Hogwildz said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Thats a load of BS.
To each their own.

If the radiation don't kill ya first ;)

Hogwildz said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Thats a load of BS.
To each their own.

Don`t listen to Hog, he`s a 1 percenter. Pay attention to the other 99%. :lol:

Well I put in a new chimney for my T6 but the old 8" stainless chimney which is still safe and functional was cleaned with a wire brush for 30 years. So as far as I know wire brushes do not damage a chimney.

crazy_dan said:
Hogwildz said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Thats a load of BS.
To each their own.

If the radiation don't kill ya first ;)
True dat. Actually, I am pretty much at ground zero, I won't even know it if it happens. I'll be a pile of ash in a millisecond.
But i bet the scratched stainless survives.
;)

I'm betting less than $20, the price of a new brush that the fellow is correct. That is a lot less than the price of a chimney.

I actually called Metal Fab, the manufacturer of my chimney, and the engineer I talked to said to use a poly brush. So I will take his advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.