I need a hunk of chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
A couple times a year I always wish I had a length of utility chain laying around for odd jobs. I do have a very old antique piece but is only 5' long and doesn't have any hooks so I use a bolt + washers to create a loop. I end up wish it was more like 10' long.

I need it for stuff like dragging a tree, anchoring my come-along, etc. What is a good utility size of chain to get (probably Lowes or Tractor Supply) and which of the ends should I get...standard clevis hooks at both ends so I can hook them back over the chain?

Just a standard size log chain will work with hooks on the end. I want to say 5/16, but I'm not sure. I have 10 or so hanging in the garage, when I go to auctions I try to pick one up cheap.

The size of the chain depends on the load you are pulling. I have a bunch of different sizes from 1/4" up t 5/8". I also have a few shorter chains that used to be longer all from trying to us a small chain to do a big job. I would say 5/16" is my most used but sometimes the 5/8" is just right.

I was just at Tractor Supply and was thinking the 5/16" was about right. I think it said 3900 working load and was about $3.50/foot. I feel like a 10' piece is about right.

They had the clevis slip hooks which seemed like what I wanted, at least at one end. Is there a reason to get a different style hook for the other end?

I still use chains, but more and more I grab my tow straps. the ones I have are rated for something crazy...like 10,000 lbs or something. Mine have loops on both ends and dont slide like chains do...I mostly use them with a come-along when dealing with hung up trees, etc. My shortest one is 6 feet...longest one is about 15 feet. you can easily loop them together and make one long one when needed too.

You can't go wrong with a 16' piece of grade 70, 5/16th, transport chain. I like a grab hook on one end and a slide hook on the other. You can use it with a chain binder to tie loads down on a trailer, give a log a little drag... all kinds of uses. Just be careful not to go wild with it. No "hold my beer and watch this" moments. They are unforgiving when things go bad...

I have a couple of 5' lengths too. With a grab and a slide hook they're very handy...
If you're buying used chain at a flea market or some place, watch out for chain that has obviously been over stretched or repaired with a cold shut. You're better off going to a farm supply store and getting a pre-made transport grade chain for under $40, like a Peerless.

JMHO, YMMV...

Reactions: D8Chumley
Grab on one end slip on the other. The grab lets you shorten the length or fasten to another chain. The slip hook chokes the load.

Reactions: TreePointer
My Lowes keeps a log chain in stock, but I think this is a regional thing because I don't see it online anymore. It's a 14' chain with a grab on one end and a slip on the other (as Ehouse mentioned).

Very similar to this: Blue Hawk 14-ft Welded Gray Chain
http://www.lowes.com/pd_348456-40391-3/8"X14'_0__?productId=3685002

I also have a 20' model from Lowes:
Campbell Commercial 20-ft Welded Yellow Chromate Steel Chain
http://www.lowes.com/pd_348448-273-513578_4294934403 4294866614__?productId=4774569&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Chain

My favorite is a little choker chain with a "needle" on one end.
http://www.baileysonline.com/Forest...r-Chain-1-4-x-7-with-C-Hook-and-Steel-Rod.axd

The choker hook is LESS prone to unhooking from the chain than the slip hook. Here's what a choker hook looks like if you want to build a choker chain:
http://www.baileysonline.com/Forest...8-Choker-Hook-for-3-8-Chain-Choker-System.axd

Last edited:
Get two 12 footers rigged as above + one shackle. You can then use a shorter chain which is often handier than a twenty footer, join them with the grabs for any length between 12' and 24' or use them on the shackle for a 2 part bridle, a very handy thing to have.

Reactions: TreePointer
It wouldn't hurt to have a short section of blank chain as well, with a box of various detatchable hooks, shackles, clevises etc.

I still use chains, but more and more I grab my tow straps. the ones I have are rated for something crazy...like 10,000 lbs or something. Mine have loops on both ends and dont slide like chains do...I mostly use them with a come-along when dealing with hung up trees, etc. My shortest one is 6 feet...longest one is about 15 feet. you can easily loop them together and make one long one when needed too.

I have a couple longer yellow tow straps. I thought they stretched under load? Do yours?

I've seen the ones that stretch, but no mine don't. Mine are very heavy woven yellow straps, probably 4" across with loops on both ends.

Grade 8/80 and grade 10/100 chains are a good run of the mill chain. 5/16" chain is plenty. If you really get into the metallurgy of a chain there is IPS, EIPS, and EEIPS. Which is improved, extra improved, and extra extra improved plow steel.

This is important: get choker hooks. Not binding hooks. And get choker chains for choker hooks. Binding chains have the notches on the links. Choker chains have smooth links. The reason choker chains are better is because it uses the weight of the load to grab the material. If rigged correctly that chain will NOT come off. Binding hooks only bite the last link you can clasp. Bad news. Also straps break down. The stitching comes undone, they don't dont have very good shock loading ability, and they break down in sunlight and with oil. Two things synonymous with wood cutting.

Chains stand the test of time. Aside from stretching a link or overloading it it'll never breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.