I need a source for single wall 3” SS pellet vent pipe - or guidance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PelletStoveGuy

Feb 25, 2009
SF Bay
Oops, I think I posted this in the wrong forum, so I'll repeat here.
Thanks all for this great site. I just found it and it looks like a great source for info and help.

I’m in the process of installing a pellet stove insert into a masonry chimney. After much research, I think I know what I want to do, but I’m having a heck of a time actually finding the parts.
What I would like to do is use a 3” x 60” flexible SS single wall pipe through the damper, then connect to a rigid SS single wall pipe to the chimney top/termination (about 12’).
It appears to be allowable per code and per the instructions for my stove. But I have been unable to find what I think should be real simple material.

I’ve found double wall 60” flex (such as 3” x 60” Simpson PelletVent Pro Flexible Pellet Stove Chimney Pipe), but only double wall pipe to connect to it (much $$).
I’ve also found single wall flex chimney liner (such as Simpson Dura-Vent DuraFlex Chimney Liner) for the full length of the chimney. but I would prefer to have a smooth interior for the vertical run (for air flow and cleaning).

I’ve called every local stove and chimney place I can find, and every hardware store in the book. I’ve got interweb burnout, but cannot seem to find single wall SS Pipe (I want the proper gaskets, etc). Does what I’m looking for exist, or do I need to use the Duraflex type liner.

By the way, I have a Breckwell P2000 (which I got used, very cheap. I ended up having to strip down (lots of rust) and completely repaint and do some re-wiring and re-insulating - when will I ever learn about a ‘good deal’? Had a lot water damage).

Thank you in advance.

Would the pellet gasses cool enough while going up the large chimney to condense into creosote deposits? I'm betting that is why you aren't finding singlewall lengths in that size. If you go out the side of a building I bet the exhaust is still hot enough, and moving fast enough, where potential creosote deposits are pushed out before they can form on the walls.

If the experts chime in and say there isn't a danger of creosote maybe you can find what you are looking for in 4" pipe.

Matt

PelletStoveGuy said:
Oops, I think I posted this in the wrong forum, so I'll repeat here.
Thanks all for this great site. I just found it and it looks like a great source for info and help.

I’m in the process of installing a pellet stove insert into a masonry chimney. After much research, I think I know what I want to do, but I’m having a heck of a time actually finding the parts.
What I would like to do is use a 3” x 60” flexible SS single wall pipe through the damper, then connect to a rigid SS single wall pipe to the chimney top/termination (about 12’).
It appears to be allowable per code and per the instructions for my stove. But I have been unable to find what I think should be real simple material.

I’ve found double wall 60” flex (such as 3” x 60” Simpson PelletVent Pro Flexible Pellet Stove Chimney Pipe), but only double wall pipe to connect to it (much $$).
I’ve also found single wall flex chimney liner (such as Simpson Dura-Vent DuraFlex Chimney Liner) for the full length of the chimney. but I would prefer to have a smooth interior for the vertical run (for air flow and cleaning).

I’ve called every local stove and chimney place I can find, and every hardware store in the book. I’ve got interweb burnout, but cannot seem to find single wall SS Pipe (I want the proper gaskets, etc). Does what I’m looking for exist, or do I need to use the Duraflex type liner.

By the way, I have a Breckwell P2000 (which I got used, very cheap. I ended up having to strip down (lots of rust) and completely repaint and do some re-wiring and re-insulating - when will I ever learn about a ‘good deal’? Had a lot water damage).

Thank you in advance.

I'd sell you that pipe for 30% off of list pricing.

Pellet stoves burn pretty cleanly. For simplicity, we ran flex all the way for our pellet insert. After 5 years there was no accumulation to speak of.

But if you want to go flex for 60", Simpson makes the 60" part - 3PVP-60F. These folks sell the parts. Go to page 2 of the pellet vent parts.
http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=67

why not just run flex all the way up

what I have seen is Single wall in not much less than normal L vent pellet vent so best to just use the pellet vent
and
Pellet vent has a Air tight seal that a presurized pellet venting will need.
where single wall will not

OP here. Thank you for all the replies/advice.

My reason for wanting the rigid pipe for the vertical run was that I was thinking I would get better airflow and less soot deposits, as well as having easier cleanout, using smooth interior and straight run of pipe.
I wanted single wall, thinking that it would be much cheaper than double wall (since double wall is not necessary inside my chimney).
However, it appears that single wall is still more $ than I expected - just 3 pieces of 48" single wall SS pipe are more expensive than an entire run of flexible tubing, and that does not even include the 60" flex section I wanted.

My inclination at this point is to just go with a single section for flex for the entire run, since you have reported no problems with soot build-up. I would have fewer joints to worry about, and it is less money for the entire installation.

I see Northline selling 3" x 15' Simpson DuraFlex 316TiSS Chimney Liner - 7020TI-15 for $129.00 with free shipping ( the non-TI version of this [at $109.00] appears to have a ship time of 28 days, so I figure upgrading is worth it). Seems like a good deal to me - is this a good product, and is Northline a recommended supplier?

Also, they have a "liner kit" (3" Simpson DuraFlex SS Insert Chimney Liner Kit - 7105-D for 109.00) but also with a 28 day ship delay. It has an flex appliance connector, top plate and cap. I was originally thinking of just terminating the pipe under my existing rain cap/spark arrester (installed on the 8x19 teracotta flue liner protrusion). I apparently should add a top plate to seal out gasses. I wanted to avoid changing the appearance of the chimney. Any thoughts on why I would not want to do this?

Thank you again. Sorry for the dealyed reply - windows crash after typing this the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.